Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Head Above Water

Psalms 32:6-7

Therefore let everyone who is godly pray to you

while you may be found;
surely when the mighty waters rise,
they will not reach him.
You are my hiding place;
you will protect me from trouble
and surround me with songs of deliverance.
Selah

I found this verse and wanted to share it with my friend Melissa.  We talked yesterday briefly about the feeling of grief after a great loss.  The small town of Cheney suffered a great loss on Saturday night.  A young girl was killed in an accident and my dear friend Melissa is very close to the family.  We were talking yesterday about how grief comes in waves.  There are moments when you feel like you can't breathe...like you are being sucked under...and then all of a sudden, you catch your breath.  Something makes you smile or remember something good about the person you are missing so dearly.  After we got off the phone, I decided that the breath must come from the hand of God.  He is there pulling us up when we have no strength to swim.  When we feel like maybe it would be better for us to just sink...because the pain wouldn't be so great anymore.  The reality of the situation wouldn't be so real anymore.  But God is there...reaching out His hand.  As the verse above reads...you are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble.  And He will if given the chance.  And we...as a reflection of Him...are to do the same for others.  When their pain is so great, we carry them.  We pray for them.  We do for them what they cannot do for themselves.

I have been looking for the perfect time to put this song on the playlist because I really like it.  It is called, Let the Waters Rise, by Mikes Chair.  Isn't that how we feel when grief strikes?  Like the water around us is rising?  And panic sets in.  Will we be able to swim?  Will we be able to safely make it back to the shore of normal life?  It is not an easy journey...it is not the normal shore you used to stand on...but Yes.  With Christ in our hearts, He will be there to help us.  If we follow Him...He will always be there.
I will swim in the deep

'Cuz You'll be next to me
You're in the eye of the storm
And the calm of the sea
You'll never out of reach

God, You know where I've been
You were there with me then
You were faithful before
You'll be faithful again
I'm holding Your hand

There's a raging sea

Right in front of me
Wants to pull me in
Bring me to my knees
So let the waters rise
If You want them to
I will follow You
I will follow You
I will follow You

God Your love is enough
You will pull me through
I'm holding onto You
God Your love is enough
I will follow You
I will follow You

If you are suffering...breathe.  God is there.  He'll pull you up as the waters rise...trust Him.

Have a blessed day!
Amy

No comments: