Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Do Gooders

Last night my Mom, Sister, Granny, Mother in Law and I attended the United Methodist Women meeting at our church.  My Mom, Mother in Law and Granny are members, and Chele and I were there as volunteers.  We made fleece tie blankets for the Wichita Children's Home as a mission for the group and it was so fun.  We were told some information about the Wichita Children's Home (which brought tears to my eyes) and then we as a group prayed over the blankets we were making.  It was incredible and as PR would say...God was in the house!  We made 29 blankets in an hour and a half!  I was so pleased with the turnout and the pile of blankets that we loaded into a car at the end of the night.  I can't even imagine what the look on the director of the Wichita Children's Home will look like when she sees them.  Each blanket made with such love and compassion.  Each knot tied with consideration of the child that might snuggle up to it for comfort.  I was just so proud to be a part of something that would bring goodness to someone who might not understand that concept at all.

It got me thinking...how many children out there don't understand His love?  How many children out there don't understand the concept of unconditional love?  The kind of love that doesn't have to be earned and that never goes away...no matter how many times they mess up?  How many children out there don't have the people in their lives to give them hugs and love each night before bed?  The answer...too many.  Of course my mind immediately went to...what can I do for these kids?  Why can't I make blankets more often?  Why can't I help them more?

And then it came to me.  We are extensions of His body.  We reach out to those by doing good for others.  We are not His body itself.  We cannot save those in need.  We can only do our part by praying for them and knowing that God is with them.  I said in my message Sunday that sometimes I read a verse...and it makes sense...but I don't directly apply it to my life.  My favorite verse of all time is...

Jeremiah 29:11

11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

The Lord says right there...plans to prosper you and NOT to harm you.  Plans to give you hope and a future. 

I have no other choice but to believe He means exactly that.  Not just for me, but for everyone.  For those little ones that I can't even stand to think about being in need of a fleece blanket to comfort them.  He is there for them.  Even when they don't know it...don't realize it...don't care.  He is holding them and it is my hope that they'll find Him in His timing.  And someday maybe they'll look back at that blanket and think...Ah ha!  That was Him!

Today, think of ways that you can do good in your own way.  Church organizations, charities...people are in need of His love everywhere you look.  And to be an extension of His body, we are to show His love to those in need.  It is good for them and good for our hearts as well.  And as I said in yesterday's post...I am pretty sure He'll look down and say...Well done.

Have a Blessed Day!
Amy

No comments: