Saturday, December 23, 2017

Year in Review

When I think about all that has happened in one year's time, I'm overwhelmed.  I'm sure we all feel that way.  Life brings a lot in 365 days.  I know at times I've felt like days turned into weeks.  I know how guilty I am of wishing the weeks away...especially the challenging ones.  But with living, comes learning.

So-without further adieu, Life Lessons of 2017.

1. I like being organized.  Who knew?  I don't always have the time or "take the time" to get that way, but when I do, I am happy.  I feel calm when I know where things are.  I don't know why it has taken me so long to figure this out, but I like it.  2017 was the year of getting organized.  2018 is going to be the year of staying that way.  Cheers.  :)

2. Having a Senior in high school is hard.  It is emotionally exhausting.  Not to mention the financial part.  I'm so excited for what Big has coming his way, but I'm terrified that we've not prepared him enough.  I think (THINK) most parents feel this way when they are looking this part of life in the face, but it doesn't make it any easier.  I'm happy, then I'm sad.  He's ready, then he isn't.  I keep reading books and talking to friends who've been through this, but like anything else...you have to experience it to know.  I'm constantly conflicted.  Which means I'm ALWAYS eating something to cope.  Yeeeeeeiiiiiikes.

3. I actually like to cook.  I'm not great at it, but I like it.  I'm working on the "getting better at it" part.  Stay tuned.

4. I've learned the fine art of not comparing myself to others.  For years, I've had this bitter, ugly side that I carried around with me.  Always being jealous of what others had or of how they did things differently.  It was ugly and I'm not proud of it.  But somehow this year...I've found a way to overcome that.  And it is wonderful.  My sister has always told me that comparison is the thief of joy.  As it turns out, she was right.  I have found an amazing sense of peace in being content with my life, my home, my things, etc.  All this time, I've carried this weight of wanting more when all I've ever needed is right here with me.  Don't get me wrong...I still want things.  I just don't want what other people have.  I want what makes me happy and that isn't the life of others.  It's the life I'm living.

5. I love Zumba.  More than loving Zumba, I love sharing it with others.  PLUS...Zumba allows me to continue coping with life's changes by eating food!  I can eat, cope, and dance it all away.  Ish.  If you haven't found your favorite exercise, I challenge you to do it in 2018.  Walking, running, weight training, yoga, Zumba, etc.  Do it for you...and for the secret cookie dough you eat in your closet.  You don't want to give that up...am I right?

6. I've learned that having boys isn't all bad.  It's actually pretty cool and I'm learning to love every minute of it.  Yes-our house smells like socks sometimes.  Yes-they are less than great shoppers.  No-they don't love to help with household chores.  But...they do love their Momma.  They help me when I make them.  They are very low maintenance.  They don't require a lot other than food, soap, deodorant, food, and food.  I don't get to go dress shopping with them, but they allow me to hang with the girlfriends sometimes and that is pretty cool too.

7. Two year old lab puppies aren't much better than one year old lab puppies.  I don't have a single EOS that hasn't been chewed on.  I use them anyway in hopes that eventually she'll sleep instead of chew.

8. Learning to bake with my Granny was one of the highlights of my year.  Spending time with her in a way that taught me more than just how to make a fluffy meringue was worth more than any dollar amount in the world.  I'm so thankful for the moments over the years where we've been able to talk and for all that she has taught me about her quiet strength, her kindness, and her amazing ability to bake.

9.  People are important and deserve to know their worth.  Family is the most important thing in the world.  Followed closely by friends. Knowing others and loving them is one of the most amazing gifts we've been given on earth and this year has made that abundantly clear.  Losing our Nana has taught me the importance of showing people their worth.  We don't know what tomorrow brings and I have learned the importance of showing and receiving love.  We aren't perfect and life gets in the way sometimes, but it is important to tell people how you feel.  Don't wait-share your love with others every day.

10. Life is full of surprises.  Some good.  Some terrible, horrible, no good, and very bad.  We have to get through them all.  Some we celebrate.  Some we curse.  I (at 40) don't always know how to handle the surprises life holds.  Death is an awful part of life.  Missing someone after a death is one of the most painful things I've ever felt.  Watching the ones I love feel that pain is also a horrible feeling.  What I have learned is that there is as much joy in loving people in the here and now as there is sadness when they are gone.  We loved our Nana with all of our hearts.  We miss her every single day.  But because of her, we love others with all of our hearts.  To love someone the way we miss her is what God intends.  He didn't promise us a life without pain.  He did however teach us to love as he loves us.  We hurt and have joy with such an intensity that sometimes it is hard to breathe.  But I don't want life any other way.

To love someone so much it hurts and brings joy- that is living.

2017 has not been our favorite year.  We lived, learned, loved, and lost.  But we've gained so much and have more to be thankful for than I could ever list on a blog.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.  Hug them tight.  Love them hard.  To those who have held us up when we were falling, Thank You.  We are blessed to love you and be loved by you.  

Here's to 2018!

Referee of 3



No comments: