Monday, September 13, 2010

Suffering for doing Good

“Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble.”- 1 Peter 3:8

This was the verse of the day on biblegateway.com.  I wasn't quite sure what to make of it so I went to my study bible and started looking.  It said this...

Peter lists five key elements that should characterize any group of believers. 1. harmony-pursuing the same goals; 2. sympathy-being responsive to others' needs; 3. love-seeing and treating each other as brothers and sisters; 4. compassion-being affectionately sensitive and caring; and 5. humility-being willing to encourage one another and rejoice in each other's successes.  These five qualities go a long way toward helping believers serve God effectively.

As I read down though...I found something even more interesting.  1 Peter 3:13-17

Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened." But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.
Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.

Hmmmmm.

Do you know what you would say?  If a someone asks you for an answer?  Do you know how you would gently and respectfully defend the love of Christ?  The verse says even if you should suffer for what is right...you are blessed.  Sometimes being a Christian can feel like that.  We suffer because we believe.  We suffer because we defend.  We suffer because He loves us...and even in our suffering...He is teaching us...and loving us the entire way.  Because He suffered.  Because He cried.  Because He hurt.  He knows what it feels like to be in our shoes...as we walk through the valley sometimes. 

But through the suffering comes hope.  Romans 5:3-5

Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

So given the opportunity...I guess that is what I would say.  Hope does not disappoint us...because God has poured out his love into our hearts.  And because of that...I believe. 

This morning I feel like I have been run over by a dump truck.  Maybe even a trash truck.  We had an extremely busy weekend...much like everyone else.  And I am trying to make sense of the mess of grocery sacks and laundry that covers my kitchen/ living room.  I believe I'll be having one more cup of coffee before I get started digging through the remains of the dump/trash truck that no doubt made this mess in my house. 
Have a blessed Monday!
Referee of 3

1 comment:

MrsBaker said...

All though you posted this a few months back...it is December when I am reading it. I really enjoyed it! It made me think back to several days ago when I was doing my last minute Christmas shopping and I was disgusted by everyone's behavior. I witnessed a woman being very rude to some one in the parking lot and then shortly after that I had someone be very rude to me in traffic. They were so rude that I cried. I was surprise by how a stranger could hurt my feelings so much. People forget the whole reason for the Christmas season. Where is their Christian attitudes, compassion, kindness towards others?? Even we as Christians are guilty of it ourselves from time to time. It is my hope for 2011 that people will learn to show that Christian attitude, compassion and heart to everyone every day throughout the entire year.