Today's verse confused me a little, so I looked it up in my study bible. I am telling you people...if you don't have one, you need to get one. It is called the Life Application Study Bible and it is so helpful to me in getting the answers I need.
Basically what this particular verse is saying is that...If you have ever been encouraged in Christ...if you have ever been comforted by his love, if you have ever had that moment with the Spirit where you feel and know it is there...then pay it forward with His love.
Have you ever heard that term? Pay it forward? Well the concept isn't foreign, but the term was something new to me. What an idea? How better to show God's love than to mirror the things that we have had in our life from Him...for other people. If people out there are in need...we as Christians should go to them and help. Whether their need is physical...financial...spiritual...we as Christians should do what we can to fill the void...and to spread His love in doing so.
Sometimes we get so caught up in how we look doing those things though. I am guilty of it. Being so proud because I was recognized for doing good. Knowing that others saw my efforts and my accomplishments. Thinking...Now they know I have Christ in my heart. But the Bible says this...
Many people-even Christians-live only to make a good impression on others or to please themselves. But "selfish ambition or vain concept" brings discord.
When we work together, caring for the problems of others as if they were our problems, we demonstrate Christ's example of putting others first, and we experience unity. Don't be so concerned about making a good impression or meeting your own needs that you strain relationships in God's Family.
It is kind of like a recipe for cookies. I love to make Chocolate Chip Cookies...but am not always very good at it. I get out my recipe card...and I start adding ingredients like a mad woman. (Have I mentioned I am not a good cook...?) Before I know it, I am distracted and end up finishing the cookies in a whirlwind trying to do three different things. They come out of the oven looking perfect. (Okay, not always...but for the story sake...work with me here). I take them off of the cookies sheet, place them on a plate and put them out for others to see. But when I take a bite...I realize I didn't do something right. They look wonderful...smell delightful...but they are horrible to taste. Being a Christian can be like that. It takes a lot of ingredients to make up a truly good person. And if we are more concerned about our outward appearance in situations than the make up of our inside...really, the appearance no longer matters. When people get into the heart of our Christianity and a major piece is missing...like encouragement, compassion, kindness, etc., we are no longer what we appear.
We have to take the time to make sure we have all the ingredients...and that we are doing what we do for the right reasons. Being one in spirit and purpose. And not only being it, but paying it forward.
Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3
1 comment:
You got it going on today! Outward appearances can be very deceiving without God's grace to back us up! We do need to take the time to make sure we have all the right ingredients to be the kind of person God wants us to be and "pay it forward"!
Happy Day Daughter!
Love you - mom
Post a Comment