I went to my study bible this morning to look up this verse and was met with an explanation I was NOT expecting. I would think...the grace of the Lord (forgiveness), and the Love of God (the unconditional love that can only come from him), and the true relationship that comes from the Holy spirit, be with you all..is pretty self explanatory. But I believe why the writer was saying something more.
Paul was dealing with an ongoing problem in the Corinthian church. He could have refused to communicate until they cleared up their situation, but he loved them and reached out to them again with the love of Christ. Love, however, means that sometimes we must confront those we care about. Both authority and personal concern are needed in dealing with people who are ruining their lives with sin. But there are several wrong approaches in confronting others, and these can further break relationships rather than heal them. We can be legalistic and blast people away with the laws they should be obeying. We can turn away from them because we don't want to face the situation. We can isolate them by gossiping about their problem and turning others against them as well. Or, like Paul, we can seek to build relationship s by taking a better approach-sharing, communicating and caring. New International Version, Life Application Study Bible
Well...okay then. I found this to be very helpful for two reasons. Without reading the entire book of 2nd Corinthians, I was confused about the meaning of the verse. Secondly, I have been in this position more than I'd like to admit. How many times have others done wrong and we judged them? How many times rather than taking a Godly approach, have we turned our backs and walked away...or talked to others about their choices? Personally? Oh too many. And I always know when I am doing the wrong thing...taking the wrong approach...because God reminds me with the sting in my heart that says...
Don't do that daughter.
But...don't you see what they are doing is clearly wrong?
Don't treat people that way.
But...aren't we to live by your rules and teach them to others?
Show them the way through your actions, rather than scolding them with your words.
God doesn't want us to turn our back on sinners. We are sinners ourselves. The simple fact of the matter is that we wouldn't want Him to turn his back on us when we sin...and if we are extensions of His body...showing love to those who might not know Him...then we are to forgive and act kindly to those who make bad choices. Because He does it for us...me...every single day.
Thank you Lord for your Grace, Love and Fellowship. Without it, I would have nothing. Please help me to be more gracious in loving others and to be a true extension of You. Amen
Have a Blessed Day!
Referee of 3
1 comment:
As I read your blog I was reminded of the song of Casting Crowns - If we are the body - "But if we are the Body
Why aren't His arms reaching
Why aren't His hands healing
Why aren't His words teaching
And if we are the Body
Why aren't His feet going
Why is His love not showing them there is a way
There is a way" . . . let us be examples of Christ's love and share his grace and his unconditional love! Wow - tall order today! Love you Mom
Post a Comment