Thursday, September 16, 2010

Mom's Cup of Joe

Mom’s Cup of Joe

It’s Monday morning and I just finished taking a little time after my morning walk to sit on the deck with a great big cup of coffee. I watched my hummingbird friends at my feeders and reflected on the very busy weekend we just experienced.

Yes, it was busy, yet rewarding. We started the weekend with a rainy time together in Kansas City watching several generations enjoy “Rain – a Beatles tribute” at the Starlight theatre (outside theatre) and for most of the concert, it rained a fine mist. We really didn’t mind because the music was good and remembering the 60’s was a lot of fun!

We returned Saturday morning to finish the weekend with family watching numerous football games in Clearwater. It was a longgggg day, but it was fun to watch the kids interact with their friends and see Great Grandpa in his straw hat enjoying all the greats and their numerous activities. From swinging to throwing the football in his backyard to watching the new puppy – one family had to bring her and her kennel for the day. It was so much fun, in spite of the heat! Sure didn’t feel like football weather, but the best part -  it didn’t seem to bother the fans. Two different communities, 18 miles apart, coming together for kids. What a great concept! Unity . . . and it was happening all over the state.

I have to think that this is exactly as God planned it. I think God loves football games because he knows his people will be coming together just as they do when we come together to worship. Sharing his word in a different way in many different venues. I believe God wants us to come together and take these opportunities to be a unified family as often as possible. Unfortunate, we sometimes find ourselves allowing conflicts and differing opinions to interfere with his plan. If we could only take all the opportunities we are given to come together and do God’s work - actually, becoming the body of Christ as we go about our everyday lives. If we could only do that everywhere we go . . . and why can’t we?

This morning, I was reminded of God’s words as I pondered the weekend – wherever two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." Matthew 18:20

I have to think that God would love it if we would take that to mean everywhere we go . . . in everything we do . . . we would remember that he is always present. He is sitting by us as we yell at the referees, the coaches, the kids . . . he is present as we speak with a tone we would never use with God, as we speak in that tone to our spouse, our family, anyone who irritates us . . . he is with us as we lose patience with other drivers on the roads as we go about our day . . . yes, we must remember that God is with us everywhere we go. He is listening, he is watching and he is hoping that we will be using his word to show love to others. He is hoping we will be that example that he wants us to be at the football game, in the grocery store, on the roads, everywhere we go.

As I go on with my week, my goal will be to take his word and be the example he wants me to be for others that I come in contact with . . . not just those I love and care about, but everyone I meet.

Thank you Lord, for the opportunity to reflect and learn from our weekend of fun. We are so thankful for the blessings that you give us each day and Lord help us to remember to slow down and spend a few minutes in prayer. Through prayer, we are able to renew our strength to endure whatever the day might bring. Lord, we are thankful. Amen 

1 comment:

JoAnne said...

I have been reading devotions about "sandpaper people". The ones that "rub you the wrong way". How hard it is to show these people compassion, but YES.....we are to show it to EVERYONE!