Yesterday was my Big's Birthday...he turned 11. Last night as I was laying beside him on his bed watching him play his new Xbox...it occurred to me that his little days are over. He looks more like a big kid...he speaks like a big kid...and he is doing more grown up things. I can remember from the time that he could talk, we would guide him with what to say. "Say Please" or "Did you say thank you?" In the past couple of years, Big has gotten very good at remembering the right things to say...and last night after we ate ice cream at Freddy's to celebrate his big day...without being told...he came and hugged me and said..."Thank you Mom". And laying there last night...he said, "This has been a perfect day."
I would have to agree.
It just warms your heart to see them growing up and becoming "good" people. I know he is only 11...but before I know it, he'll be 22. We have just 8 years left with him before he leaves the house and goes out on his own...and that frightens me so much. What have we taught him? Does he know enough? How can we continue on the path of making these boys good men? What will we do when they struggle?
And then I think about myself. Without sharing a great deal about my teenage years...I can say that I struggled. And I look back on those experiences I think...God really pulled me through. He never left me. Not once. In fact...he probably carried me more than I walked sometimes. And I know with my whole heart...that if Big, Middle or Little struggles in this life...God will be there for them too. Because He has a plan for their lives. And ultimately...they are His. Coach and I have a responsibility to share His love with them. We have a responsibility to raise them up to be kind, compassionate, good people. What I have learned over the past 11 years is that because we love God and we trust His plan for Big's life...I know Big will have exactly what God plans for Him.
It really was a perfect day.
Last night, the Kyrie Foundation held a presentation at a local sorority dinner. The Rho Kappa chapter of the Beta Sigma Phi sorority invited us to come and be their guest speakers at their annual event. The goodness that was shared last night cannot be put into words.
My friend Lacie spoke about her daughter's illness for one of the first times since her passing. It has been three years since Kyrie passed. Time does not make it easier to talk about. But Lacie did an incredible job...I was so proud of how poised she was. She had tears in her eyes and sadness in her voice...but she told Kyrie's story. That story is so very important to the foundation...and so important for others to hear. And I know that God was holding Lacie up last night. It was an awesome event. Even more awesome was the fact that Lacie and Jordan got to meet a very special guest. Last week I posted something about the Layla Grace Foundation. Our special guest last night was Layla's Dad. He and Layla's Mom started the Layla Grace Foundation shortly after Layla passed and as God would have it, he was in town this week. The company that is working on the Layla Grace Foundation's website/logo/awareness, is owned by a friend of mine's husband. She contacted me through email and through God, we set up a meeting between Layla's Dad and Kyrie's Mom and Dad. Again...words cannot describe what went on last night, but I know that no one else could have done that...but God. Even if their meeting just introduced two friends that have been through the same valley...His work was done. I want to thank Justin McClure with JustinMcClure.TV for making it possible for Ryan to join us. You heart is in the right place and the Kyrie Foundation is blessed to have met you. (And I am too)
Awareness was spread. Donations were given. People were touched. Friendships were established. And the Lord...our God...was very present in that room.
Yes...Big...it was the perfect day.
Have a Blessed Friday!
Referee of 3
1 comment:
It WAS a perfect day!
Post a Comment