Friday, September 10, 2010

Our Church Picture

We look nice enough, right?  My sweet Mother in Law picked this picture up for me at the church office and brought it to me this morning.  "It is a really good picture." She said.  "Thank You".  That is what I should have said.  Thank you very much.  Instead, I told her the story that I am about to tell you.  You need to be aware of the fact that we didn't order a single one of these pictures.  We got one free for having them taken for our church directory. 

We dress in our Easter clothes for the picture...thinking that is only thing we have that matches...other than our Mulvane Wildcat Football gear.  (Or our Jags Baseball gear)  We get all ready and we go get into the room to have our picture taken.  I honestly cannot believe we are all smiling in this picture because right before it happened, I think we looked more like a group of circus monkeys than a family.  When it was time to sit down, the big boys...Big and Middle, raced to the spinning stool.  First, they knocked it over.  Then they proceeded to set it back up and try to spin on it.  With one look from Coach...they both almost wet themselves, I am sure.  It is like for a few minutes...they forgot he was even in the room.  But when they were so kindly reminded by his death stare...they knocked it off.  Of course, then it was Little's turn.  The nice photographer lady asked Little to get on my lap...and he started bawling.  "But Middle gets to stand on a box!  I wanna stand on a box!  I am too BIG to sit on Mom's lap!"  Oh Lord, please help us here.  Coach was breathing so hard behind me I could feel his breath moving my hair.  The boys were both still very quiet from their previous encounter with the death stare, and Little was full out, head back, bawling.  Picture a Charlie Brown character, crying...laughing...or singing...and you'll know exactly how far his mouth was open.  And I...was nervously laughing trying to pull off my best calm June Cleaver. 

When the pictures were finished.  Coach took Little to the bathroom to talk to him about not crying so much or so loud, and I went to pick out the pictures.  Honestly, I was in such a daze at how awful the entire event had went...I kindly said..."No thank you" and "my sister is a photographer".  In my mind I am thinking...(No one in their right mind would take pictures of us except for my sister...so that thought in itself was a blessing.

Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled the picture out of the envelope this morning.  Let me just end this by saying...God is a miracle worker.  There is no other explanation how this picture turned out. 

Thank you Lord for making it appear to the rest of our church that we do indeed have a very normal family.  And by normal...of course I mean in the circus monkey sort of way.

Referee of 3

7 comments:

Chele said...

I love all you circus monkeys! ;) And the pic turned out rather nice!! LOL! Good times!

Kim said...

What a hoot!! Certainly brought bought a number of "fond" memories indeed! I'm so happy that you and Coach have all the right stuff to raise three beautiful, active and obviously happy boys!

Emily Hedden said...

Amy,
Yes ya'll are a very normal family like the rest of use with three kids, no less boys!! We have our church pictures in two weeks and regardless of how my boys act that night I hope it turns out as good as yours!! I love reading your blog, it just brings everything back down to earth!! Have a great weekend.

Nancy said...

The picture turned out great! You have to love the church directory photos! We also have our church pictures in a few weeks. I am already anticipating an event much like yours with three kids (ages 5,4 and 2), a hubby who dislikes professional photo sessions more than anything and an extremely hormonal, 8mo prego mother...yep, I see a train wreck coming our way.

Eva Whtimer said...

I can TOTALLY relate to the chaos you described! It's enough sometimes to make me wonder what in the world I was thinking having 4 kids...I am not qualified to raise them right. I thank God that He is in control of their lives!
That IS a good picture too!

Christy said...

Great story! We had a story very similar when I was a kid and the 7 of us went for our first family (combined) picture!

Anonymous said...

love the story, could totally picture it has i was reading, the pic is good too, June Cleaver!