Thursday, September 30, 2010

Mom's Cup of Joe

http://roadtomercy.blogspot.com/2010/09/new-experiences.html

To fully understand my Mom's devotion this morning, you'll need to click on the link below and read about Brian.  My friend has been writing a blog about the process of adopting their little one from Uganda, Africa and she wrote something that touched my Mom.  She wrote this a week or so ago, but with last Thursday being Big's birthday, I put it off for a week.  Enjoy...and thank you Momma!

Too Many Shoes –

There is a little boy who had one pair of shoes . . . his name is Brian. No, I don’t know him and I don’t know very much about him, however, a young mother who is waiting to adopt a little girl in Africa, put a picture on facebook of his shoes. Just his shoes . . . The shoes are badly worn with a large hole in the bottom of each shoe. Oh, she also had a picture of Brian – but the picture of his shoes, just his shoes, wow . . .

Now, take a moment and think about that . . . how many pair of shoes do you have in your closet? I lost count as I looked at the array of colors of my many flip flops and sneakers and boots that are in my closet to cover my feet – to protect my feet - to give them comfort as I walk when I choose to walk . . .

Now take a moment and think about that . . . this little boy probably walks because he has no other means . . . he’s not choosing to walk for pleasure or exercise because he overeats, no his name is Brian and he has no choice but to walk. Brian is a real little person with real feelings with real needs.

Isn’t it easy for us to sit in our nice homes with our closet full of shoes and lots of good food – food we choose to eat because we are “hungry for it” not what we eat because it will nourish our bodies and we have no other choices? There again, it’s his only choice – There are many where Brian lives who cannot go to school because school costs money and they have no money. There again, it’s their only choice. It’s not about desire or privilege . . . it’s about being their only choice.

I could go on and on with how this picture affected me and made me stop and think about those in need and how I take for granted what I have because I live where I live. It also reminded me of a song I remember singing as a child  . . .  “Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world, red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world” Do we? Do we love and care as Jesus did for those in need? Or are we too busy doing all the busy-ness of our lives?

So, what is my point you ask? I guess I am still trying to figure that out. I know for sure that one thing I can do is begin by praying for those in need daily and praying for those who are in mission in these countries helping children just like Brian. I recognize that the needs are vast and there are many children who need our help far far away. I am also reminded that it is easy to forget about them and their needs as we go about our day enjoying our many blessings. We are all very rich in comparison and I for one take that for granted sometimes, much of the time.

Please join me today, taking one minute from your day to pray for Brian and his friends and family who are in need. Ask God to direct your heart and to give hope to Brian and others just like him both here in our own country and in the world. Ask God to direct where you need to be using your talents and what you can do to help others in need. All we need to do is open our hearts to hear his words and ask him to expand “our territory” from time to time. When God speaks, will you listen? When God speaks, will you be open to hearing his words and doing his will?

I’m listening God. Guide my heart and direct me where you need for me to go. Thanks be to God.

No comments: