There are moments in life when we overlook things. Not intentionally. Not maliciously. We just absent mindedly overlook things. If I were ever famous, I would be famous for this.
I have learned that it is so very important to take time out to realize what is going on around you. We tend to get so wrapped up in our own lives that we overlook the needs of others. I am not talking about big needs either. I am just talking about the little times in our lives when we just need a friend...or a family member to walk through the door and listen.
Yesterday was the first anniversary of my Mom losing one of her best friends to cancer. Sherry was an amazing person and we miss her dearly. But we decided last year when she passed that we would celebrate her in some way on her birthday each year. As life would have it, we were all busy that day so we went out last night for a little girl time to celebrate her life. Mom, Chele, our friend Stephanie and I sat and visited and had a great time. We just spent time together. And I have a feeling that was exactly what Mom needed to get through the day. We didn't dwell on the sadness...we just enjoyed one another. Sometimes we just need to take time out to do things like that to make the sad days seem brighter. Losing Sherry was so hard...but knowing we'll see her again someday makes it just a little easier to be away from her.
I am writing this today because I think it is so very important to just realize. We need to realize when our lives are too busy. We need to realize when others are in need. We need to be sensitive to the experiences of others when we stand on a soap box and tell the world why we feel the way we feel. We need to remember that even in our very best days, others may be having a terrible day. We need to be observant and take time for others. We tend to focus on ourselves so much that we forget others around us may need a hug or encouraging words. God is there for us no matter what kind of day we are having...a good friend reminded me of that yesterday. And it is so true. He knows when we are happy and he knows when we are sad.
I know personally, we get so wrapped up in school, sports, and life that I forget to make phone calls to important family members. I forget to send birthday cards. I forget to say...I'm thinking of you today. And I am trying to correct that because I know that God NEVER forgets me. In being more like Christ...I need to be better at remembering. I think the more you love with His heart, the easier that will be.
Have a Blessed Day!
Amy
3 comments:
Thank you for this blog Amy and the reminder that we all need to take time to stop and feel life! Be still and know that I am God is one of my favorite verses. It is a reminder that in order to have a heart like Christ, we must take time to feel his presence! Sometimes that is just a few minutes with someone who needs a little extra hug that particular day! I'm so glad we took time to be together and remember! Love you - mom
Amy, Sheri gave me your blog address yesterday, so today is the first time I was able to read it. What a wonderful gift you have and are sharing with all of us! Funny, but these last few days I have been thinking of just what you had written. To be thankful each and ever day for the wonderful gifts that God has given to me. I get so wrapped up in getting all of the "stuff" done, that I forget the important things in life, like getting down on the floor and playing with Brayden even if I have a million things to do, or playing a pick up game of baseball with the kids in the evening. Have a wonderful and blessed day! Michelle
So true, Amy-loo. We did the exact same thing this week to remember the first anniversary of Chad's dad passing. We got together, enjoyed each other and then sent a few balloons on their way. Just a moment set aside in an otherwise busy week.
I have a quote that is perfect for your entry. Let me go find it ...
Post a Comment