Friday, April 9, 2010

Sink or Swim

It’s sink or swim.
I’m drowning within you.
Somebody rescue me.
‘Cause I’m goin’ against the stream.
I fell in love with somebody like you.
And I know yeah that you wanted me to.
You told me who I was.
But I don’t want to.
No, I don’t want to.
I don’t wan to.
I don’t wanna’ drown.

Have you ever started down a new path and thought...there is NO WAY I am going to make this.  A new job?  A new baby?  Going back to school?  Making any kind of change in your life can be so overwhelming.  I can remember when we found out we were going to have our third child, Brady.  We had made some plans to not have anymore children.  Seem as if God had things going differently in His mind and we now have three kids instead of two.
 
After I took that test...I cried.  I was sick to my stomach.  I was pacing and crying and questioning God...not because we didn't want that baby,  we had just completely made ourselves comfortable with NOT having anymore babies.  And what a blessing he has become in our lives.  We chose to swim.
 
When Coach decided to make a job change shortly after we had our middle son Tanner, we were so afraid.  He had a comfortable job with an absolutely wonderful group of people.  But he wasn't happy.  Teaching and Coaching were his passion and he wasn't doing that.  So he applied for a job and ended his career at the City of Derby.  That change was so hard for all of us.  Coach especially.  He worried...he tends to do that...and he over prepared.  He didn't sleep for the first two weeks of school.  We had to adjust to a new pay schedule and a new pay amount.  But he was so very happy to be where he knew in his heart he was always meant to be.  He chose to swim.
 
Learning to trust God more can be like that too.  Our lives change.  Our perspectives change.  Sometimes, our circle of friends can even change.  Change is hard.  We have to walk the walk along with the talk.  God wants us to learn and live out what he is teaching us.  People sometimes doubt.  But we have to know that the change within us is good.  And that we cannot fix the hearts of those around us...only God can make that change.  We also must choose to swim.  Being a Christian is not an easy task.  He holds us accountable for the good, the bad and the ugly.  When I am choosing to be ugly, He is there...stinging my heart...saying...Do unto to others Daughter.  Sometimes I want to say...But GOD...they were mean to me too!  He won't have it.  So we have to make it right because He is in there...and that can be soooo difficult sometimes.  Swim.
 
Sometimes being a Christian can feel like you are all alone out in the middle of a swirling ocean.  The waters wash over you...you panic...there is no one to help you breathe.  But that is where we are wrong.  We don't need to thrash around in the water because He is there.  Simply believing and trusting Him will keep us afloat.  But doubting Him and worrying about things out of our control, causes us to sink straight to the bottom.  Give Him the credit He deserves and swim.
 
Have a Happy Friday!  Woo Hoo!
Amy
 
Song is Drown by Chasen

No comments: