I love to perform. I have loved performing since I was very young. I used to walk around the house doing commercials for my Family. My two favorites were..."I'm gonna wash that gray right outta my hair" and "ring around the collar". I could recite them word for word. My sister HATED my performing addiction...poor Chele.
From commercials I moved straight into singing at church. I think I sang my first solo at UMC at age 6? I immediately found my new love.
From church, I found myself singing in choirs through school and ended up being pretty involved in the school's theater department. I would have to say my all time favorite performance was...dare I say it...'Damn Yankees'. I was also involved in our school's show choir. Loved it. The singing...the dancing...the jazz hands. LOVED IT.
I decided to try out for a music scholarship at KU. Because I thought I was pretty great. Turns out...there are a lot of REALLY great...not just pretty great people out there who were trying out for the same scholarship. I went home that day a much smaller, much humbler fish. I ended up attending Emporia State University and let go of my music dreams about 2 semesters in.
I love American Idol. Had American Idol been around before the KU tryouts, I probably would have thought I was good enough to win the whole thing. I am thanking the Lord that the scholarship committee at KU was the my judging panel and not the entire nation. But what a rush that must be...standing up there singing for millions of people. And hearing their praise...and then their criticisms. Maybe not so great...I don't know.
I have learned so much in coming to Christ...but one thing I have completely learned is that He is who blessed me with my talent and He is the audience that I want to be listening. Music used to be my passion. Now praising Him with my voice is my passion.
To my audience of one
You are Father and you are son
As the spirit moves free
Let it find within me
A heart that beats to praise you
And now just to know you more
has become my great reward
to see your kingdom come
and your will be done
I only desire to be yours
Audience of one, Big Daddy Weave
As you go about your day today...think about what you do to praise him. How do you perform for him? What will your judgment be like? And try to live like he is the only one watching...desire to be His.
Have a great day!
Amy
1 comment:
Hmmm, wonder if you could be using your musical talent to bring others to Christ . . . bet the Lord would love hearing you sing and lead others in worship . . . just a thought
Post a Comment