Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Not 'sa' good at baking

I have made a handful of cakes in my life that were not in a 9x13 pan. Maybe 5...6 tops. Two of which I can remember being a semi-success. One was a round layer cake that I decorated to look like a basketball for Tanner's 3rd Birthday. You'll notice by the picture that in the event of the cake not being perfect, Tanner B seemed pretty happy with my efforts.


<



The second cake that was a semi-success was an angel food cake that you decorate with strawberries. It was not beautiful...but not ugly. Make it as pretty in your mind as you want because I have no pictures of this cake.

For Brett's 6th Birthday, the child was totally into Star Wars. We used to have what we referred to as the "cake lady". She made all of my birthday cakes for me. I would pay her the money, and she would create a masterpiece that would decorate the birthday table and serve as the perfect sweet to celebrate the special day. Done. BUT...the cake lady decided not to be a cake lady anymore. So I decided to try my hand at her expert cake making. She gave me a piece of paper with all the instructions and even told me how to make the icing smooth. She told me exactly what product to buy and she donated one of her massive cake pans to my cause.

It was a mess. Go ahead and make this cake as ugly as you want in your head because I know for a fact that nothing you can imagine is as hideous as this cake was. I have no pictures of this cake either as it ended face down in my trash barrel the morning of the Birthday party. Bless my Mom's heart...she and Dad made a mad dash to Sams to pick up a presentable cake. (So what if it said...Happy Birthday Brad! which they fixed) It was awful. That was four years ago.




You'd think I would have learned my lesson...but nope. I tried it again. I made a cake for family bunco. And here it is.




I am not a baker. I am not a very good cook either. I try and I try. I ruin things over and over. The kids (bless their hearts) usually eat it without saying a word...but Tanner sometimes likes to remind me that he'd rather not have things burnt. Got it. So...where am I going with all of this?

Well I come from a long line of women that could do it all...or so it seemed in my mind. Granny...oh my Granny. Nothing she does is bad. Nothing she touches ever turns out ugly or burnt. Her cookies, her cakes, her decorations, her clothes, her make up, her everything is beautiful. And my Mom...she is amazing. She has it all together. She can bake, cook, sew holes in stuffed animals, and everything she does, she does in style. She always looks 100% put together...even for aerobics and Christmas morning! So what happened to me? Why can't I seem to get it together enough to follow the directions on the back of the box and make a cake that is presentable and delicious?

Well probably for the same reasons that I can't make a basket to save my life? Or hit a baseball...or dance. There are all kinds of things I cannot do. But that doesn't make me a failure. I am a good Mom and I am going to keep on trying. I am in that Needs improvement category when it comes to the kitchen for sure (and many other things...like patience)...but when it comes to loving God and feeling his touch...I am definitely in the exceeds expectations category.

A great verse to leave you with...

Ephesians 2:8-10

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

I have a feeling cake making is not something he prepared in advance for me to do...thank goodness.

Have a Happy Wednesday!
Amy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmm,I think your granny and I see it much differently as we do not really have it together! We've just mastered making it look as if we do! You my dear and your sister have so many other talents that we wish we had, but thankfully, God gives each of us something different. In response, we just have to use what he gives us to the best of our ability. It appears to me that among the many gifts he has given you, he gave you the gift of expression and the gift of music. Continue down the path you are taking for his glory because you are 100% together on what God is asking you to do. Oh and yes, you can leave the baking to Granny! She's the best!
Love - mom