Tuesday, March 9, 2010

In the thick of it

 
Posted by Picasa


When I was little...back to pigtails little...I can remember going shopping with my Mom and sister. Chele and I would fight most of the way there because I would cross the imaginary line she had drawn down the middle of the back seat (on purpose) and Mom would swing her hand back behind her completely missing both of us. She drove a brown Caprice Classic...it was huge. I mean it was huge to the 5 & 6 year old who were ducking down in the back from her angry swinging hand...poor Mom.

Anyway, I can vividly remember walking through the store bored out of our minds. After we worked things out from my invasion of her territory in the car, we would hide under clothes racks and pretend they were our houses. Mom would yell at us to get out and we would just sit and giggle. She had no idea which ones we were under...and we thought we were hilarious.

But one time, Mom went to the register to pay and didn't tell us she was leaving. (The nerve) We popped out from below our circle rack clothing houses only to discover she was GONE. We couldn't see over the racks and racks of clothing to see she was only a few feet away. We thought she was gone forever. So what did we do? Well, Chele cried. She panicked and cried. I decided I would just get us out of the mess we were left in and I'd just get on the elevator to go and find our Mother. Doors open...walk in...doors close. When I got to the next floor...nothing looked familiar. So what did I do? I started crying of course. I had enough sense to hop back in the elevator and go back down...(thank goodness Sears only had 2 floors) I found Chele still searching. Eventually, we heard Mom's voice. "Girls? Are you ready to listen to me now? Or are we still going to play this game?" Uhm....we went running. We found her and when she saw the fear in our eyes, she realized we'd gotten ourselves lost. She hugged and then chewed us out for not listening...so typical.

Anyway, yesterday I was talking to my dear friend about another friend of ours and the difficulties she is facing in her life today. The phrase that we both used was 'in the thick of it'. Being lost in that sea of Sears' clothes...that is how we felt too. All we could see for miles and miles (from a 5 year old perspective) was clothing. I would imagine it is like that in a forest too. Miles and miles of trees. So thick you can't see the sunshine. So big, you lose track of which way you came in and which way you need to go. Chele and I tried to find our own way...and of course...mine got me worse off than I was to begin with...again...so typical. If we had just waited to hear Mom's voice, we would have known the direction to go.

If you are in the thick of it, I am praying for you. Try not to find your own way so much and listen...truly listen to the sound of his voice. If you walk in the direction HE is leading you...you'll hear the voice through the clothing...you'll see the light through the trees...you'll find HIM. You'll find that the happiness, the safety, the love you've been searching for is just a few steps ahead.

Song for today....These are the words I would say, Sidewalk Prophets

Be strong in the Lord and,
Never give up hope,
You're going to do great things,
I already know,
God's got His hand on you so,
Don't live life in fear,
Forgive and forget,
But don't forget why you're here,
Take your time and pray,
These are the words I would say,


Listen...truly listen to the chorus and Have a Wonderful Day!
Amy

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Love it, girl...love it. Love you too. She's going to be fine...and we are all going to rejoice together when she finds the sun!

humblepie said...

I'm already planning our rejoicement party as I sit here among a jungle of Misses polyester jackets featuring over-sized shoulder pads and strange floral patterns. Are you guys in Juniors or Petites? ;)

Coach's Wife said...

Oh how I love you both so much. Just think of Melissa and I as your floaties when you feel like you are sinking. We'll pull you up everytime. Big hugs and loves...it will get better. I promise. Can't wait for the krop love!

Chele said...

ummm...that picture is hilarious! I had forgotten about our Sears adventure...Good times! Love ya!