One day I was cleaning our house. (My sister used to have a rug that read...My house was clean yesterday, sorry you missed it. LOVE THAT) After I clean a bathroom, I usually try to light a candle if people are coming over. I found a tealight candle and took it to the kitchen to light the candle. Along the way, I found some laundry that needed to be thrown into the washer, so I set the candle on the dryer. I then went to the kitchen and the phone rang. After the phone call, I went back to the bathroom to put something away and set the lighter down on the counter of the bathroom. Hours later, I found the candle...sitting on the dryer. So I put it away. Even later in the day, I found the lighter again, remembered the candle, and went to light the candle again. Good grief.
I have what some might call a "real problem" staying on task. I cannot usually get from point A to point B without a million distractions. Trying to write this devotional right now, I have my three year old and my almost eight year old fighting at the table behind me over a toaster strudel...and my brain is struggling to keep up.
Not too long ago, Coach opened the refrigerator to get something to drink. Next to the orange juice, he found two small plate racks...hmmmm. Not sure why or how, but obviously I got distracted while putting them away. We have also found dog food and the cordless phone in the fridge before...like I said, who knows.
What I do know is that Jesus was never distracted. He was always on task...he followed his targets and when he was done here on earth with all of his tasks, he said, "It is finished". John 19:30
Can you even imagine? With us...the Nelson Family, it is never finished. We always have laundry, or house cleaning to do. There are bills to pay, games to attend and too many people to call, see or keep up with.
Max Lucado gave an example in the devotion today and it was about a sample lady at the grocery store. She was there to help people sample the celery~to sell the product by allowing people to taste it. But every time he walked past the "celery lady" she was organizing the celery on her tray rather than allowing the public to try the product. How many times do we get distracted with the organization and the display of our life only to miss the true task we've been given? Oh...daily. But there is a way to help stay on task. To have a focused heart. We must keep our eye on the prize every day by going to God with our thoughts. I am learning that through all of this, my tasks are not so much what I thought I should be doing, but more what he is asking of me.
Does that mean I can let my house go or not do the laundry? No...I still have to do all the things that make this family run smoothly...(I am laughing as I write that), but if I have a Jesus focused heart we'll be Just like Him. Let's try it together.
2 Timothy 4:7-8
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day and not to me only, but also to all who have loved His appearing.
I would imagine if we stay on task through this journey, the reward will be pretty sweet...the crown of righteousness...that sounds worth it to me.
Happy Sunday!
Amy
No comments:
Post a Comment