Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I'm rubber, you're glue

Words can be so painful sometimes. Just yesterday I had an experience where someones words hurt my heart. I am an emotional person, as I have told you before. I don't like to be criticized, humiliated or attacked. When that happens, I tend to let everything else fade into the background and focus my thoughts on the negative.

Today's devotion talks about how Jesus had a guarded heart. I was so amazed by the words...Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.~Proverbs 4:23

Above all else...really? That is to be first on our list? To guard our heart? But, why?

When Jesus was here on earth, he was very guarded. When people tried to make him King, he disappeared. Most people would love to be crowned King! But Jesus knew his purpose. He did not let the thought of being worshiped himself come into his heart.

"He slipped off and went up the mountain to be by himself" John 6:15

After Jesus announced his death on the cross, his apostle Matthew objected.

"Impossible Master, that can never be!"~Matthew 6:23

Do you know what he did? He sent Matthew away telling him he had no idea how God worked. I wish I had the courage to stand up for myself like that. He guarded his heart.

And when Jesus was called to heal the sick girl, he was mocked by the family. He was told she was dead, and he told them she was only sleeping. They laughed at him. Those people laughed at JESUS! Do you know what he did then?

"he put them all outside"~ Mark 5:39-40

He was not allowing people to stand there mocking him while he did the work of the Lord. He guarded his heart.

I am amazed that he didn't doubt himself. When someone doubts or humiliates me, I doubt myself. I start rethinking my thoughts...wondering if I did the right thing.

Here is the cool part...I can guard my own heart by giving my thoughts to the authority of Jesus.

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me"~Matthew 28:18

Max Lucado writes...If you give him authority over you, your guilty thoughts are no longer allowed. If you give him authority over you, bad ideas cannot remain in your thoughts. To have a pure heart...a guarded heart...we must submit all thoughts to the authority of Christ.

Love it. If I put him in charge of my thoughts, and my heart, I won't have to look back and wonder if I did the right thing. Because we are to be Just like Jesus, and the right thing is all he knows...got it. Protect your heart by allowing him to be in it. I feel better already!

Have a blessed day!
Amy

2 comments:

Karen Iverson said...

Amy ~ you are simply amazing!! What an inspiration you are to me!
I just discovered your blogspot.... I'm so intrigued. Such beautiful writings and such a beautiful family you have.
God made you just the way you are!! You are His masterpiece.

Coach's Wife said...

Karen, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. I really appreciate it. Big hugs to you friend!