Do you ever tell lies? Because I do. I am not proud of myself when I lie, but never have I ever felt as bad as I did this morning in reading my devotional. When I lie, I like to think that I do it for the "right reasons". Sometimes I lie so I don't hurt other's feelings. Sometimes I lie to soften the blow...but I lie. Sometimes I lie over little, bitty things. Other times I have lied over big, huge things. I get so angry with my boys when they lie to me and I have developed the Mommy sense that tells me exactly when they are lying. (Man I hated that when I was growing up...how did she know?)
Today's devotion talks about the difference in a witness in court and the followers of Christ. A witness in court is under oath to tell the truth...the whole truth...and nothing but the truth. But when they step down, they are no longer held to that standard. We as Christians are to never step down. We are expected by God to tell the truth...the whole truth...and nothing but the truth...always. I can tell you from experience that lying has never, ever saved feelings. I always think it will help to not hurt people...but in the end, they are always hurt more because I have lied.
Jesus never lied. He was always honest. He never spoke a word of untruth...WOW. Never? Are you sure? Because it is so easy to do. NOPE. NEVER. He always spoke the truth because God has very strict rules about lying.
The Lord HATES a lying tongue~Proverbs 6:16-17
God destroys liars...and HATES those who kill and trick others~Psalms 5:6
Max Lucado says that the hard line is because of one reason...Dishonesty is an absolute contrary to the character of God.
Oh ugh...that one stung a little. If we are trying to be Just like Jesus, lying cannot be in the cards...and that I'm afraid is hard for us. But God always speaks the truth. Satan on the other hand, used lying as his first tool against mankind. The book says he didn't seduce Eve, he didn't sneak up on her...he simply lied. "God says you'll die if you eat the fruit? You will not die." Genesis 3:1
Big Fat Liar.
I challenge you today to be honest...all day...the whole truth...and see where it gets you. Lying is a hard habit to break, but if we want to be Just Like Jesus, we cannot tell a lie. Food for thought...for sure. Have a blessed Monday all!
Amy
No comments:
Post a Comment