When people used to ask me if I ever ran...I'd reply with..."Only if someone is chasing me." And that was the truth. I am not a runner. I have tried jogging. I have tried walk~jogging. I have tried full out running. (I didn't get very far with that one, but I tried.) So, I found it quite interesting that in today's devotion...it was all about running the race.
Hebrews 12:1
Let us run the race that is before us and never give up.
Never? Oh great. When I tried running, I got MAYBE two houses down...and gave up. This could be tricky. Thank goodness God's race has absolutely nothing to do with actual running.
The word race is from the Greek word agon, meaning AGONY. (Can I get an Amen?) Max Lucado goes on to say that the Christian race is not a jog, but rather a demanding and grueling, sometimes agonizing race. It takes massive effort to finish strong.
The book talks about how many people start the race but with time, fall off the path. They still come to church and make their offering, but their heart is no longer in the race. When we accept Jesus into our hearts, we are so full of life from that decision. I would imagine (since I have never actually ran a race) that at the beginning, you feel refreshed and ready. You might even start out on a pace that might be hard to keep throughout the race. And then as times get tough, we tend to slow down, or even stop all together. We quit. We give up. (Coach is not a big fan of quitters...yikes) Jesus was not a quitter. The book gives the example of Jesus being tempted by the devil for 40 days. Can you imagine being tempted for 40 straight days? I am afraid I might give up. But Jesus did not. He stayed in there and he fought the fight...he finished. He also finished the race while others doubted him. Coach knows that I am a woman that needs a lot of encouragement. I have just recently started working out in hopes to train for a race myself. Go ahead...laugh. Get it all out. I have a long way to go before I reach my "next to impossible" goal...but coach is helping me. He knows that everyday he has to encourage me. This is not necessarily his way of coaching, but he knows to get me to my goal I need to hear his "kind" words. Jesus was doubted through this race. His followers turned on him...doubted him...yet he finished.
Jesus didn't quit running. Temptations didn't deter him. Accusations didn't defeat him. Nor did shame dishearten him.
Hebrews 12:2
Jesus...accepted the shame as if it were nothing.
Max Lucado~Just Like Jesus
Shame. Disgrace. Embarrassment. I know those feelings. I know there are moments in this life that I am not proud of. Moments I'd like to keep private. Moments I'd like to forget.
How did Jesus finish the race? How did he face everyone with shame that he did nothing to earn?
Because he knew the ending. He knew that he would cross that finish line and it would be worth the pain. Purpose through pain.
I am not a runner. I am not a runner. I am not a runner...YET. I am in training. I am in training everyday as I write this blog. I am in training to finish this race with dignity and pride. When my race is finished, I'll have a heart just like his.
Have a great day!
Amy
4 comments:
Just came over from Soph's blog (BooMama). Your boys are precious!
Trying to finish strong,
The Park Wife
Thank you for your very sweet comment. I'm glad you stopped by my blog. It's nice to know people actually read it. You too have a very beautiful family! :)
Hey, friend! I didn't know you were a blogger?! Found you from Melissa's blog--so cool to read your spirit here! What a gift to me!
I have faith in you that you will finish. You are one determined woman. I know that you will find the strength, no matter WHAT the race.
Post a Comment