I have been a stay at home Mom/daycare provider for the past almost 10 years. A little over two years ago, I joined the social networking world of facebook. It has been a great tool for me to connect with old friends. High School Friends, College Friends, Sorority sisters, and family around the country. I get to see what is going on in their lives and keep up with their families...which I love.
Sometimes though...it can be the biggest distraction of my day. I can sit and read updates for hours at a time. Coach gives me a hard time because if there is ever a second of downtime, I am checking my facebook via my cell phone. I wouldn't want to miss out on the up to the second updates of where everyone is eating dinner and things of that sort...right?
Facebook has allowed me to share my blog with many friends and I am so grateful for that connection. It makes me laugh, and cry. People share good and bad things. It gives me people's situations to pray about and for...and gives me food for thought. It challenges me to think on certain topics I might not even consider. Yet sometimes...it makes me feel insecure...and wonder what I might have done to offend someone. It makes me second guess myself and worry about the outcome of situations that don't pertain to me at all. Often times I have considered deleting the whole thing. Because it keeps me from being fully connected to my family, my daily housework, and my time with God.
I think that is why I strive to blog on a daily basis (even though that has become less and less as the kids get older and older). I love typing away on my laptop. I love writing. And I love the connection I have with God during this time.
In life...you have to take the good with the bad. I am not deleting my facebook because I believe that everything happens for a reason. I stumble upon certain status updates at just the time I am supposed to. But like with everything else in this crazy life, I have to find the right balance. I struggle to do that.
Especially with the Easter candy and nutritional food. Just the other day, I traded my entire lunch for a chocolate bunny. All 460 calories. Who did I trade with? Oh myself. I considered making a sandwich and having some light cottage cheese as a side. But then the little chocolate hoppity hop kept calling my name. And of course, I ate the entire thing. I didn't add the cottage cheese as a side because I figured I had already eaten enough. Ugh.
Oh well...new day. New challenges. New struggles with good and evil. I'll let you know how it turns out.
It is all about balance. Once in a church service, we had a lesson about life represented by a jar of marbles and sand. The marbles represented Christ. The sand represented the "stuff" of life. When the sand was put in the jar first, the marbles didn't fit. Too much "stuff" (i.e., facebook and chocolate bunnies), not enough God. But when the marbles were placed in the jar to begin with, the sand fit all around the marbles and it all fit in the jar nicely. God, facebook and even the occasional chocolate bunny.
Point, you ask? Putting God first helps us find that balance the way He intends for us to. The stuff isn't going away...and trying to balance the scale on our own is not a good idea. But putting God first and allowing Him to help us find that balance, keeps things in check in our crazy lives.
Have a fabulous day friends!
Referee of 3
No comments:
Post a Comment