Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Love Conquers All

“Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.”- Psalm 100:4-5

I got on facebook last night before bed to find out that Fred Phelps is coming to Mulvane next Tuesday to protest at our High School.  Apparently (according to my friend and the HS principal) they are not allowed on school property.  However...they are free to stand on City property which would be the sidewalk lining Rock Road next to the High School.  So...this is what our town has to look forward to after Thanksgiving Break.

You should see the facebook discussions.  WOW.  Some VERY upset people around here.  And I can't say that I blame them.  I understand that lifestyle choices are being questioned...and I completely disagree with what is happening as far as his coming and the nasty things he (as in Phelps) put on his website about our children and this town.  As I read some of the things that he (Phelps) posted, my stomach started to hurt and my blood began to boil.  It made me sick...and sad...and angry.

And the kids....Oh my the kids.  The HS students...not all, but a pretty big group of them are staging a counter-protest to happen that morning.  I am so sad that they would even be exposed to Phelps's ugliness.  But I guess we have to grow up sometime.  And unfortunately...the world is full of people who disagree with lifestyle choices...religions...how we raise our children...etc.  Fred Phelps is a very outspoken man about his beliefs...but he is one man.  And he isn't God.  So honestly, to me...his voice does not matter.  What he stands for isn't even heard in my ears.  And I would hope that I would be able to teach my children the same thing.  BUT...it still makes me very angry.

Violence isn't the answer.
A counter-protest isn't the answer.
Bashing him publicly or on facebook isn't the answer.

Of course I want to call him names.  I want to get right in his face and tell him what an insensitive, arrogant, ignorant moron he is and to leave this town and NEVER come back.  But...God has a better plan.

Love is the answer.

 John 13:34
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
  Love your Neighbor as yourself. 

1 Corinthians 13 4-7
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

We should love him.  We don't have to be his best friend...or agree with him...but God would prefer that we love one another.  Even those that we may not deem worthy of our love.  It seems we don't get to be the judge of that. 

Are you serious?  God wants us to love that?  I don't get it.  Why would God even allow someone like that to live and stand strong when he is such an ignorant, horrible human being?

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

We know he is evil.  We know his beliefs are way off.  We know he is an ignorant human being.  We know the truth Mr. Phelps.  And we...as in myself and hopefully my family...know that you'll get yours when the time is right.  I am guessing that evil isn't written in the book of Life.  So...have your protests.  Spew your ugliness and venom about people you deem less worthy...and when you get to the pearly gates...remember this...

Love keeps no record of wrongs...BUT...God does.  Good luck with that buddy.

Have a Blessed Day!
Referee of 3

No comments: