I am learning more and more as time goes on...to go to my Bible. When bad news surfaces...I struggle to know what to do. I sit...I wonder. I zone out. I never handle bad news very well...and it seems like it continues to come in floods right now.
I sat in my bed this morning thinking..."what am I going to write about?" And a song came into my head...no doubt a hint from above.
I would like to go back a FEW years to when my sister and I were younger. We would travel with my Mom to Seattle to see my Grandparents. They were transferred there with Boeing when we were 7 & 8 I believe. I'll never EVER forget the day they left. Watching them drive away and seeing my Mom so sad...still hurts my heart. Anyway, we'd fly out to see them and as the Miller Women would have it...we'd go shopping. We went to the coolest places too. But we would rock out in Granny's Cadillac to Amy Grant. You know the song lyrics...I was country, when country wasn't cool? Well that was us with Contemporary Christian music. We loved it before it was even a big deal. And Amy Grant was our favorite!
One of the songs I remember the most was called Thy Word.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
Psalms 119:105 Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
Lately, as the bad news rolls in...I have been over thinking things. What do I do? How can I help? How much help is too much help? Will others judge me for my actions?
I spoke with a very good friend of mine the other day and she simply said this...
"Do what God is telling you to do."
Sometimes we have things on our minds...and we give false credit to ourselves. The ideas...the thoughts...the gestures...they all come from Him. And when we feel the urge to do things for others, we shouldn't over think them. We should step up and do what we are being called to do.
I need to get better at letting the word be my lamp. Often my path is dark because I try to go it alone. I am terrible at reading my bible. Terrible. But when I pick it up and let it speak to me the way that God intends...I find peace. Now why wouldn't I do that all the time? Well, mainly because I am stubborn. I want to figure things out on my own.
Just the other day I was hurrying through my dark room trying not to wake Coach. It was pitch black. Now, I realize that I have a nervous furniture moving habit, but our furniture has been the same for at least six months in our room and I know exactly where it is. As I was saying...I was in a hurry, and I cut the corner too short. I nailed my upper back into the corner of our tall dresser. I have a huge bruise as a result. It hurt so bad. I just bent over in the hallway and held my breath after I finally made my way to the door. Had I left the door open a crack to let the light in from the hallway, I would have seen the stupid dresser and prevented myself from the severe pain that occurred. But I was trying to find my way in the dark.
If we allow God to shed even a little light on the situation...we'll be able to see the path we are to take. The path He has set forth for us. Our actions won't be in question because He'll be leading the way.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. Help me Lord to remember your light on my path when I wonder. Help me to remember the Bible...when I feel like there are no answers...and give me strength to do whatever it is you need from me when friends and loved ones are in need.
Have a Blessed Day! It is FRIDAY!!! WAHOOOO!!!
And Happy Birthday to my Super Great friend Shannon and my Brother in Law Daniel! Love you both!
Referee of 3
1 comment:
Love it!! Great analogy...great advice from the Almighty. Just listen.
Love ya!
Post a Comment