Monday, August 2, 2010

Make the Most

In the car on the way to Kansas City this weekend, I heard this song by Carrie Underwood called Temporary Home.  I had heard it before, but the kids were asleep and Coach was in drive mode...so I really 'heard' it this time. 

When the big sunglasses trend came out several years back, my sister and I stood our ground on our little brown and black sunglasses.  Every single time we tried them on...we felt like bugs.  I means seriously...even Jessica Simpson and Eva Longoria looked like bugs in them.  Beautiful...disgustingly perfect bugs.  Eventually, we caved.  Me first because I am always one to follow the trend...(with the exception of this summers' reappearance of the "romper"...No thank you)  Chele followed this summer with her first pair of 'bigger' sunglasses.  My sister and I could not be more different...which is so much fun most of the time.  She is very reserved...quiet...not a spotlight kind of girl.  And I love her for everything she is.  Back to the buggy sunglasses.  I am so glad for them!  On our way to Kansas City, I heard several songs that just absolutely brought me to tears.  And Coach doesn't care if and when I cry...but it was happening a lot.  Whenever I am overly grateful for my situation...I tend to tear up.  Oh lets face it...I cry all the time.  I cry when I am happy...sad...excited...emotionally moved...angry...frustrated...I just cry.  So...Big, Buggy Sunglasses are my friend in hiding my tears and my tear stained face. :)

Back to the song. 

This is my temporary Home
It's not where I belong
Windows and rooms that I'm passing through
This is just a stop on my way to where I am going
I'm not afraid because I know
This is my temporary Home

Ugh.  Tears.  I won't even begin to write the verses down...they are so unbelievably sad.  But what an incredible concept.  We are only here for a little while...and this is just a stop on the way to where we're going.  I love it here.  I absolutely love it here.  I love my husband...I love my boys...I love my friends and my family.  I love my life.  But, we all know there are days when things get tough.  When we feel overwhelmed.  And to remember in the midst of our sadness...our anger...our frustration...that God has us here for just a little while before he brings us home...sends chills down my spine.

I think we need to make the very best of this life here on earth.  We've been given the opportunity to be here...to love here...to share His love...and to be the best people we can be.  We need to continually try to shine His light to let others know in their darkest hour...that the pain is temporary.  Coach said something yesterday to one of the boys after they got hurt that really made me think...

I know it hurts, but that will go away.  Pain always does.
This coming from a man who lost his Dad when he was 19 years old.  I know that the hurt is there.  I know that he misses him so much that it hurts.  But the hurt goes away...and he knows that this is his temporary home.  He'll be with his Dad again someday and I know that I know that I know...that in Heaven...we'll not hurt anymore.  Something to hang onto for sure.

Have a Blessed day!!!
Amy

2 comments:

Huxman Family said...

Another post of wonderfully inspiring words. I love that song by Carrie Underwood also. And you hit it on the nose, we are only here temporarily, our temporary home. Eternal life will be unbelievable - with no pain or suffering. Puts it all in perspective. Thanks again for inspiring words!

Melissa said...

I have been extremely thankful for my over-sized bug eye sunglasses in the last few months as well. Had several of those "hiding the tears" moments on vacation myself. Just knowing how complete and happy we are together...we are healthy, we are secure, we are covered with the grace of God. And then to know that others, people that I adore, live every day with a hole in their hearts...knowing that a party of 5 has become an awkward party of 4...
Overwhelmed with gratefulness for sure, for what I have, but also for the hope that is ours in Christ. The hope that this place is temporary...we're just passing through and this place is but a blink in comparison to our eternity with Christ. The pain won't be forever, what a promise to hold on to!

Love you!
Melissa