Since I have lived in Mulvane...which is most of my life, I can remember the gas station that is on the corner. We used to have one stoplight here. One. We now have a few more...like maybe three or four. The gas station is at the corner of K15 and Rock Road. Like I said...I can remember it from my childhood til now. It has gone through many owners...many names...many paint colors...and yet it still serves the same purpose. It is a gas station. It has fountain pop...my FAVORITE. It has snacks and drinks galore and a few video games inside. It has an ATM...but I am positive that wasn't around when I was a kid. Anyway...one of the things I remember the most about this gas station is that at our Town Celebration (Old Settlers Days) there would be a big blown up beer can on the top of the station. I remember thinking how cool that was...like a big balloon. At the time, I had no idea what it represented other than it was time for rides and carnival food...kind of funny to think back on that.
I have no concept of time anymore, but it seems like it has been at least a couple of years since it was bought out the last time...and in the last year, the new owner did something I have NEVER seen before. On the sign with the price of gas...he puts up a bible verse. Isn't that weird? I mean...I am all for it...but it just seems so strange for the times. Then again...maybe it isn't? Maybe it is a sign of good things to come. I believe more and more people are becoming outwardly obvious with their love for Christ.
Last night on the way home from somewhere...Coach said.."Remember 1Peter 5-9." I said..."Why?" And he told me that it was the verse on the sign at Midway and he wanted to read it. Apparently he notices more than I do when Mr. Gas Station Owner changes the verse and he is very good about coming home to check it out. What a witness. This man is making an effort to share the word with the people of our town. It isn't exactly a blow up beer can on top of the building, but people are starting to notice. So thank you Mr. Gas Station Owner for loving Christ and sharing it with others.
1 Peter 5-9
Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,
"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.
God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble. I love that. We are special...but not any more special than anyone else. We are all in a struggle...constantly fighting the urges to follow evil. We are all in the same boat. None of us are more privileged than another in God's love. And He gives Grace to those who recognize the fact that we are weak...but He is strong. We need to be humble. Such an important character. No one...in any situation...is better than anyone else. We are all stumbling. Different situations. Different people...but standing firm in the faith because we know that our brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. It says so in the word.
Have a Blessed Day friends!
Amy
3 comments:
Our gas station in Douglass does the same thing (it may be the same owners). Kids that go in & recite the verse to them get a piece of candy!
We stopped there! And they didn't know which church was UMC! They gave us directions to what they THOUGHT was the church we wanted! And they were right! :)
I <3 Mr. Gas Station...I <3 him a lot...God bless him. We need more of him in the world...more of HIM.
Thanks for sharing the warm fuzzies.
Post a Comment