Tuesday, January 25, 2011

You Be You

When I was in High School, I had an active part in our drama department.  For those of you who know me...I know that MUST surprise you.  I am hardly ever dramatic.  (that was hugely sarcastic)

I loved being in the plays and musicals because it allowed me a chance to be something I wasn't.  And what was more interesting...is that I would have my sights set on a certain part, and then I'd get something totally different.  So I thought I knew what I wanted to be, and then found being something different was even more fun!  There were costumes...and makeup...and all of a sudden, I wasn't me anymore. 

But when the lights came up...and the show was over...the make up came off...and I was back to being myself.

Sometimes I feel like in my adult life, I try to be something I am not.  I put on a fake personality to meet people hoping that they'll like the me that is super organized...super tidy...and super perfect.  Even though I know, in the back of my mind that the clothes are falling all over the laundry hampers at home...that the kitchen counter is once again unrecognizable...and that my life is anything but perfect. 

In my devotional today, it talks about being ourselves.  Cutting out that attempt to be something we aren't...and how much other women appreciate the real us...as opposed to the one who tries to be fake.  My devotion gives three ideas on how to become more real to people.

Reveal...tell something about yourself that is real.  That will make people laugh, but make them understand that you are not perfect.  We are so much more relateable when we have flaws...as in my cake making ability...or lack there of.  If we can laugh at ourselves...the whole world can laugh along with us.  And who doesn't love a good laugh?

Respond...truly listen to people when they are speaking to you.  Make eye contact and let them know you are present in the conversation.  With technology today, I could be preoccupied with my phone...and Coach's Itouch every second of the day.  I have to tell myself to put them down and listen...because nothing says I don't really care...more than trying to do anything more than listen.

Relax...be open to letting yourself let it all hang out.  When together with friends, make it a relaxing atmosphere.  The author of my devotion talked about how she and her group of Bible Study friends used to take off their shoes..."pedicure or no"...they relaxed and went through their bible study in a relaxed atmosphere.  I like that idea with sweat pants and pj's.  I love to just veg out in my sweats...and they are not the most flattering thing I own.  But I wear them anyway...because I have no interest in getting compliments when chatting with a friend in my living room. 

So...take the time to be the real you when dealing with friends.  A woman with God's heart will know the difference anyhow.  So just be yourself.  Offer God's handiwork to the people who meet you and know that with the ones that matter...that will be just enough.

Have a great day!
Referee of 3

1 comment:

Ksannie said...

ok - I agree with this for some of the time, however, in today's society, I think we have become so "relaxed" that we sometimes don't care enough about how we present ourselves in public. Call me old school, but there is something to be said for caring about how you look and how you act when you are presenting yourself in public. I guess it boils down to "take time to have a little pride in how you present yourself to others" . . . God created us in his image - would that be "sweats and a t-shirt or would that be a beautiful white robe with a colorful sash . . . Just a thought! Love you -

Mom