Thursday, January 27, 2011

Priorities

The key is not to prioritize what's on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities.
Stephen R. Covey

Hmmm.  That seems like a good idea in theory.  But can we make it work?  I sit down almost every morning and make a list.  (usually a to do list)  I start jotting things down that need to be done in no particular order.  The list usually reads something like this...

Laundry
Clean up kitchen
spot clean bathrooms
make dinner
make lunches for tomorrow
make coffee for morning
devotional
exercise
blog
etc., etc., etc.

As I have said in past posts...the list sometimes gets done, and sometimes sticks around til morning when I wipe it down and re-write it again.  I guess I am a creature of habit because I ALWAYS put laundry first.
And Coach and I both know that it is the least of my priorities.  I usually wait until Big comes up for the third day to dig underwear or socks out the dryer before I make myself finish that task.  But blogging is at the very bottom of the list and I MAKE myself get up and do that most mornings...without fail. 

Exercise?  Well...you know me.

It really doesn't matter where that falls on the list.  What matters is how I am feeling that day...and if I have a reason to get myself to the gym daily.  (Reason being...baseball seasons=shorts season)  If it is November...and chilly...and I am tired...I will most likely be sitting on my couch.  No reason to jump to the elliptical when you can put on a hoody and jeans, right?  :D

My point is this...we make a list and we randomly do things throughout our day.  I am horrible at finishing tasks.  If there is ANYTHING I want my kids to NOT take from me...it would be that.  And my nervous laughter.  But really...that.  And if there is ANYTHING I want to get better at...it is finishing.  But wanting to finish comes with prioritizing.  I want to finish my blogging.  I want to finish making my coffee...so that I can function the next day.  I want to clean up the kitchen so I won't be embarrassed when people come in.  But do I schedule time for the things that are most important?  No.  Not at all. 

Example...birthday parties.  We've done 11...8...and 4 of them for our boys.  Every year at birthday time...I FREAK OUT.  The house MUST be clean.  The presents wrapped...the cake bought...the balloons picked up...the snacks in cute bowls...etc.  On my children's special day, I am usually ordering them around and slamming cabinet doors...throwing mounds of paperwork in laundry baskets and shoving it in the laundry room. 

What is wrong with that picture?

Well my priority would be getting the house cleaned so I can "impress" my guests.  And my priority should be spending time with whatever little man it is...on HIS special day.  Dang it.  23 Birthday parties later...I figured it out.

Today as you go about your day, think about your priorities...are they right in order?  Or are they in need of some fine tuning?

Have a Blessed day!
Referee of 3

No comments: