Some say this is paradise. I wouldn't know. I've never been. It looks beautiful...and calming...and perfect.
This is my paradise. I don't know anything different. I've been raised here and this is what I know. A warm, sunny day...windows open...the wind blowing. (Because it's Kansas and that is just the way it goes.) We sat at a baseball game last summer and this was what it looked like behind the outfield. It was beautiful as the wind blew. Beach? No. Calming? Yes. And there was no place I would rather have been than there.
This is what keeps me busy all summer long. Middle, Big, and Little. In no particular order. In my planner, Big's games are written in green, Middle in blue, and Little in bright yellow. We pack up our van and we go to games. This is where we do some of our best work. This is also where we do some of our worst work. Baseball is kind of our "thing". We live it...we love it...we learn from it...and we are together as a family of 5.
For Mother's Day this year...I'll be doing exactly what I did last year...and the year before. If you are a baseball or softball or soccer or any sport Mom...you will be able to relate. And let me tell you what I have learned from this experience. Flowers are a nice gift. I love lotions, picture frames, jewelry and girly things.
But there is nothing on earth like the gift of ...my kids.
My filthy, dirty, sweaty, kids. This picture was taken last year after our all day Mother's Day baseball tournament. The wind blew 50 mph all day long. That is probably an exaggeration...but there HAS to be a reason for my hair looking like this. The brown spots you see on all of our faces are not freckles. Well they are...but the other stuff is dirt. We were hot...sweaty...gross...and messy. But we were together. I was there watching my kids do what they LOVE to do. I was yelling things that didn't make sense and pretending like I knew what was going on. I was their biggest fan. I was also their dirtiest fan. I come from a long line of wonderful women. I have the best Mom in the world. I have the most amazing Granny I could ask for. I have examples set for me that I sometimes don't feel like I can live up to. But...I know that on Mother's Day, I'll be in my paradise. It doesn't have palm trees or umbrella drinks. It doesn't include a facial or a massage. It does include the best hugs in the whole world...and probably some wind, some dirt, some dill pickle sunflower seeds and a big ol' diet Pepsi.
Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3




1 comment:
Thanks for making me cry tears of happiness! And btw, if you rub your sweaty palms into your dirty face you'll get a mud mask....just sayin'
Post a Comment