Friday, May 25, 2012
Noted
In this day and age, the handwritten note is a thing of the past. We send texts, emails, and contact people via facebook. The contact alone is special to someone. Getting on facebook on my birthday was so much fun. Message after message came through and made me smile all day. It is even amazing to me how one tech message can "outweigh" another. I think a lot about how even if I facebook a "Happy Birthday" or an "I'm thinking about you...and praying for you" message, I should go the extra mile and send a text. Not a phone call, not write a note...but text. Texting is something we can do very quickly. We jot down a little something and hit send. And then we are on our way. It doesn't take a lot of thought or time, and allows us to get back to "our" life as we see fit.
The discrepancy comes from this very gesture. Only taking a little time out of our lives to issue a "praying" or "thinking of you" isn't our best effort...and we know this. I am guilty of this completely. I am not saying in any way shape or form that a text or facebook message isn't sufficient. What I am asking is...is it the best you have to offer?
In this crazy life, we are running (not literally because that would be just nonsense) from place to place. We get up, we get ready, and we go. Only to return in time to throw our uniforms in the laundry, hit the bed, and start over tomorrow. Who has time for handwritten notes? Birthdays, Anniversaries, bad days, small accomplishments, big accomplishments...who has time to deal with these things? I have time only to browse facebook, issue a "praying for you" and move on.
Is that true?
Is that really all I have time for? Or is it all I am making time for? One of my friends recently had a baby. I sent text messages and facebook comments. But that was it. One of the most special times in her life, and I didn't even have time to write a card. The difference comes from the time that we put into writing something to someone. We slow down. We are forced to think...deeply...about what we want to say. I can type faster than I can talk, but when I write...everything slows down and I am able to cover everything that I want to express in a loving manner. Cards say...you and your situation mean enough for me to slow down.
One of my most treasured items is in a trunk in my basement. It is a card from my Grandma Katie. She always listened when something had me down. I would drive to Clearwater, Ks. and sit on her divan. (Divan meaning couch) She would first go to her fridge and get me a can of pop and some sort of treat, and then she would listen. She would let me talk, cry and then she'd hug me. And all was right in my world. After returning from her house, a few days later, I'd receive a card. A hand written note that said everything I needed to hear. She would underline the most important parts two and three times...and I was so touched. She died fifteen years ago. And I still read her card. I still study the lines of her handwriting. And it takes me to a place of comfort. She always just "got" me. Because of that note...I still have a piece of her with me.
I want that for my friends, my family, and my kids...I want them to not delete what I say to them for extra memory space on their phone. I want someone to look at how I wrote my feelings with love and find comfort in holding something tangible that I took the time to write.
I am as guilty as anyone of not taking the time. And it is my goal to slow down and show the people in my life how much I care.
Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3
P.S.-Today is a very special day! Coach's High School team is heading to state so wish us luck! Also keep Coach in your prayers as today is the day that his Dad went to be with Jesus so many years ago. Just extra prayers are always appreciated. Thanks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment