Thursday, May 10, 2012

Grateful

There are moments in life...when God gives you a gentle nudge on the shoulder that says...I need you to hear this. 

There are also moments in life...when God grabs you by both shoulders and says...YOU NEED TO HEAR THIS.

Today, I experienced the latter of the two. 

Life has been a bit crazy.  Here are a list of my complaints.

I am carrying a few extra lbs of baby weight.  My baby will be 6.
I am still in college.  I will be 35.
I have an EXTREMELY messy house.  Messy, dusty, full of laundry/ironing, dishes to be done, on my last nerve house.
Our schedule is completely full from now until 2030. 
I need a pedicure.
The battery in my van is dying a slow death.  Each day, I go out to the car before Coach leaves...hoping it will start.  If not, he can jump the battery and we can make a few more days until the need becomes urgent. 
My clothes...although stylish...are a bit tight.  And summer is coming.  And I've lost my will to care.

This list...could go on and on...if I allowed it to.

I feel like God was looking inside of my thoughts and this is what he saw cluttering my mind.  Hence the need for the shoulder grab shouting that happened about twenty minutes ago.

In my line of work, I work with some pretty great kids.  And I have had the opportunity to do a lot of learning this year.  This morning, I had to go to a classroom where a very special little boy does his work.  This particular child had some surgery done to correct a physical disability and he is still in a lot of pain.  I happened to be in the classroom at the right time...to witness that. 

My heart broke.  My eyes welled up with tears.  Real tears.  I stayed for as long as I could be "adult" about it, and then I left.  I quickly walked back to my office and cried.  I prayed and cried and cried some more.  My heart was full of pain for this boy.  And then for his family.  And then for his teachers and his Paras...who I also witnessed doing some amazing work.  I am telling you...these people...work so hard.  I was blessed to witness what they do.

Lord...my list...I can't even remember it.  I am fine with my clothes.  I am fine with our schedule.  I am so blessed to be able to see my child run around the track at his field day today.  That child moves slower than a snail...but he can run and jump and he makes my heart swell.  I am blessed.  I am grateful.

This little boy...made me realize that all we really need each day...is to be grateful.  We don't need to be skinny or wealthy.  We don't need to be afraid or overwhelmed.  We don't need to be greedy or jealous.  We don't need to be angry or mean.

We just need to be grateful.  I would imagine that the Mom of this little boy is grateful.  For his smile...for his strength...and for his life.  I'm pretty grateful for him too.

BE GRATEFUL.

Referee of 3


1 comment:

Kim said...

I love you, Amy, and I love your heart! You are a blessing to many, and you are a blessing to me. Enjoy the dust bunnies and the chaos, because you will actually miss them some day!!!!! (just a little bit). I love reading your thoughts and smile when I think about you!