Saturday, May 12, 2012

Let's Get Personal

Personal relationships.

They are so important.  I was thinking on my walk last night about how we develop these relationships and about some of the people in my life that I know and love so much.  I started thinking about how I met some of the people in my life and what would have happened if I had just developed a surface relationship with those people. 

There is so much to be said about being genuine.  It is a trait that not everyone possesses and one that I hope I can instill in all three of my boys.  It means so much to have a relationship with someone when you know exactly what you are getting out of the deal.  You know their ups and their downs.  You know what makes them smile and how to help when they are sad.  You know because you take a personal interest in their lives.  I am not talking about knowing their Grandparent's names or their kid's sports schedules.  I am talking about being there to listen.  Understanding what makes them tick.  And knowing that they have the same interest in you. 

I think that is why I get so upset when someone is upset with me.  I try very hard to have personal relationships with everyone I meet.  Church members...parents of kids that play sports with the boys...neighbors...coworkers...even friends of friends.  When someone is introduced, I try my hardest to do two things.  One, remember their name.  (this is SUCH a challenge for me)  And two, find something that I can connect with.  It isn't always easy.  But if you try to make a connection with someone when you meet them, they see that you care.  Not because you think knowing them will benefit you in some way, but because you truly care to simply "know" them.  I realize not everyone feels or sees the importance in this.  But for me, my life is full because of the people I know.  I go to a sporting event or to work, and I truly care when I ask how someone is doing.  It is a genuine want to know how they are.  When someone takes that kind of interest in me...it warms my heart.  The other day, I was upset about something at work.  It bothered me, but it wasn't something I felt like I could just go talk to anyone about.  One of my friends walked in with a student and then left.  Five minutes later, she ducked her head in and said..."hey...are you okay?"  She noticed.  Because she took the time to get to know me. 

I realize we can't connect with everyone that passes us by, but we can be genuine in our efforts.  If someone passes you, it goes a long way to make eye contact and smile.  You never know what is going on in their life that might need a kind touch from a stranger.  You may never see them again.  But you smiled...you gave them something to take their mind off whatever was bothering them.  And if you do see them again, you can know that you made an effort to be kind...and perhaps they'll pass that on to someone else.

Developing personal relationships is important for both you and for those people who you take an interest in.  You may not be able to be the BEST friend to them all of the time, but you can pray for them and for their lives.  You can make the most of the times when you see them and you can be a stable person in their lives.  Being genuine is something that more people should do.  Save the drama for your llama...and be kind.  Be genuinely interested in the lives of those around you. 

I saw this picture on a card at the store the other day and I fell in love with it for several reasons. 


  1. I think it is hilarious.  They really look like they are laughing.  I have a group of friends that I can laugh with like no one's business.  The more I look at the card, the more I think we resemble these zebras.
  2. I love zebras.  I love the wild design of their bodies.  I love that they are hippy animals and they wear stripes anyway.  Makes me feel good about myself.
  3. I think laughter is contagious.  This card made me stand in the card isle at Dillons and laugh out loud.  People were staring.  I laughed for a long time before I realized...I must have just needed a good laugh. 
I hope you have relationships with people in your life where you can cry your best tears and laugh your best laughs.  If you don't...I suggest you make your interactions more personal.  Your cup will be full...of this I can promise you.

Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3

No comments: