It happened. I knew it was coming. I was far too happy in my new endeavors. I had a training and lunch out...with other adults. Yesterday was a glorious reality of my new life.
A working woman...outside the home.
I will still be working with children...which I love to do. But I will also be having conversations with adults...which I have missed so much.
Anyone who has ever stayed home with children understands this. I started asking our four year old for decorating tips and cooking suggestions. I was actually listening when the two year old told me my outfit looked bad. I was letting the three year olds do my hair. I loved every second of it...but it was time for change.
I knew it was coming.
5:33 this morning...it came. Sheer panic. Tears streamed down my face and I could not get control. I tried to lay there very still so Coach wouldn't hear me. As it turns out, he didn't. I slid out of bed and went to the coffee pot. I cried there too. And then I hit the couch with my coffee and blanket. Cried there too.
Coach came out all ready for his workout and just stood there. Now, let me tell you...this man is wonderful. He is my everything. But...he has never been comfortable with comforting me when I am having one of my drama filled moments. It makes him uncomfortable. I can just tell. He gets all fidgety and pats me on the back. It makes me laugh when I think about it. He is one of the most loving men I've ever known...but on his terms.
I knew he was trying to make me feel better...and in typical Coach fashion...he invited me to jog with him.
REALLY? You want me to go jogging with you? Are you serious? I am in the middle of my drama filled Mommy meltdown and all I want to do is eat a cupcake, drink my coffee and cry! You can't be serious?
He was.
Now those of you who know me, know I am not a very dedicated runner. Once I get started, I do okay. But the first day is the worst. And today of all days, when clearly I am having an emotional break down...you want me to run with you?
Fine.
So off we went. And you know what? That crazy husband of mine knew exactly what I needed. Running...and hating every step of it...took my mind off things. And when we stopped to walk it out every once in awhile...he talked and I listened. He was very comforting and helped me get back to the sensible side of normal.
This is why we work. He knows me. He knows my drama. He knows my heart and my sadness. And he does what he can when times get tough.
We could not be more different. He heard a quote on a show the other day that said...
"when the going gets tough, shut up and do your job"
I saw a quote at Target the other day that said
"stay calm and eat a cupcake"
That's right. I'll take the cupcake every time. Coach will just do his job. I know that doesn't make us exact opposites, but pretty close.
But we love each other and we make it work. He picks me up when I am down and I appreciate it so much.
God puts people in our lives for that very reason. It doesn't always make sense in our minds, but it does to Him. Thank goodness.
Now, I am off to shower and start my last day off. Good grief...prayers please! :)
Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3
1 comment:
We are home today enjoying our last day off too ... hang in there!
Post a Comment