Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Heavy Heart

Today, I am remembering my friend's daughter Lindsey.  Lindsey was killed in a car accident four years ago today.  I woke up this morning with a heavy heart, and I knew why.  I got my coffee and sat down.  My head hurt.  My heart hurt.  And my prayers went up to God to allow me to carry some of the pain for my friends Steph and Kerry. 

What I have learned in the last four years from this experience can hardly be summed up into one blog post, but I am going to try.

1.  My children are God's children first.  I have to trust His plan for their lives from their first breath to their last.  No matter how hard that will be.  They are His.

2.  Life is too short on this earth, to focus on the bad, the negative and the ugly.  We are only here for a little while and we have to be the best and reflect the best with the time we are given.  (Lindsey did that, and her Mom and Dad still do)

3.  We cannot understand someone else's pain.  We can be as sensitive and as understanding as possible, but their pain is their pain.  All we can do is offer to be there when they are ready to share.

4.  A heavy heart is something we can all handle.  I feel that it is God's way of taking just a fraction of the pain from someone else, and putting it on us.  So that the one in pain, can stand and take each day, step by step. 

5.  The best thing we can do for someone who is hurting, is pray.  God knows exactly what they need.

6.  The strength we see in someone who has lost a child can only be explained by one thing...God.  The weakness we see is human.  Both are okay.  God knows we are human and doesn't fault us for those emotions.    

7.  God surrounds us with the right people at just the right time for all the right reasons.  And those people...the ones we call friends...are there for life. 

8.  His timing is perfect in every, single way. 

9.  He has been right there with us the entire time.  Crying too.  For our sadness.  For their sadness. 

10.  Lindsey's light continues to shine, even now.

If you are missing someone, miss them.  It is okay.  Remember that you are never alone and your tears are not the only ones.  God is crying too...God is hurting too.   He always does when one of us is hurting.  And in reflecting Him, we hurt when other's hurt as well.  But know, that you know, that you know...that He has a plan for all of our lives...and we'll be together again. 

Steph & Kerry,
I am praying for your hearts.  Lindsey will not be forgotten.  And your reflection of God's love has been such an inspiration in our lives.  We love you.

Have a blessed day.
Referee of 3

3 comments:

shellove said...

Hard to keep in perspective that our kids belong to God first. I think of Stephanie and Kerry every time Lizzy leaves the house happily swinging her keys to get in her car and am reminded of how many things in this life are really outside of our control. SO grateful for a mighty God who DOES have control. Stephanie and Kerry have shown great faith and such grace. Thanks for the reminder, Amy!

Muffy Travis said...

Amazing post Amy. Very well written with love and faith. It's hard sometimes to put something into perspective beyond the tears, this is beautiful.

humblepie said...

Thank you for your precious words, Amy-loo. Praying hard today for Steph and for Kerry. Lindsey and her family has been such an inspiration for us in ways I can't even describe. The love keeps us together, no matter the distance, even from here to heaven.