Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Fine Line

It starts so very early in our lives with our children.  When they are born, we are thrown into an emotional, over protective state unlike anything we've ever experienced.  The first time another child takes something from our child...the claws come out.  You feel that twinge deep down in your stomach that urges you to lurch forward taking the toy back.  You politely say..."I think Little was playing with that first"...smile and retrieve the toy. 

Satisfaction.

You have prevented the near disaster of your child not getting what they deserve. 

It continues as they grow a little older.  Naturally, we want our kids to have the very best of everything.  The best teachers...the best friends...the best coaches...the best place on the team.  And when it doesn't happen according to our plan for the perfect life for our kids, we feel that urge to lurch forward again.

And then the harsh reality hits that you cannot possiblly protect your child from every disappointment.

Dissatisfaction...immediately.

Helplessness...immediately.

Ugliness...immediately.

Seeing disappointment in our child's life can be so very upsetting.  But there is a truth to their disappointment just as there is truth to our own. 

God is behind all plans that affect the lives of the ones we love.  Whether we agree with the plan or not, He is there.  Carefully orchestrating His plan to work out exactly how He planned. 

Being a parent is one of the hardest jobs in the world.  Here is why.  I don't always like my kids.  They drive me nuts.  School cannot start soon enough and that is the TRUTH.  Any Mom who has been home for the summer with their darlings would agree...or they would be lying.  BUT...I love them beyond what I ever imagined I could.  I love them so much that it hurts me...when something hurts them.  It upsets me when something disappoints them.  It makes me angry when they are dealt what I feel is an unfair hand.  And in the words of Anita Renfro..."when you messin' with my kids, you straight up messin' with me"

And then slowly...I remember...

They are His. 

They are His before they are mine.

And He has it all worked out. 

Their lives here may not always be perfect.  They will face unfairness.  They will face uncertainty.  They will face disappointment and loss.  They will face frustrations beyond what they can imagine.

And then...I can only hope that by mine and Coach's example...they'll turn to Him.

We are not promised a life of perfection.  And neither are they.  Ugh. 

What we are promised is that He'll never leave or forsake us.  That goes for my kids too.  He is there with them every step of the way and has a plan for their lives unlike anything I can imagine.

So I'll pray for myself to stay out of the way of God's plan and will bury myself in the word when I feel the urge to lurch forward at those who may present disappointment in the life of my child.

(I may need a reminder every once in awhile to let God handle all of this though.  No one is perfect.)

Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3 

1 comment:

Ksannie said...

ok - but, let Mimi at them!! "Cuz when you messin with my kids, you straight up messin with me" LY mom