Friday, October 29, 2010

District Champs

Well...last night, the Mulvane Wildcat Football team beat Winfield.  What does this mean you ask?  Apparently, it means they are the District Champions!!!  How cool is that?  I was very proud of the team and so excited to watch them after the game in the end zone as they held each other up and showed their award.  Hearing them whoop and holler all the way to the locker room was pretty cool too.  AND...after they got into the locker room, they came back out to find their parents and thank them for all their support. After hugging their Moms and Dads, the players found the coaches that offered them support and hugged them too. 

I was fighting back the tears as Coach hugged these boys and patted them on the back of their heads like they were his own sons.  Seriously...tearing up again now.  Watching the pride in his eyes as he congratulated them on their job well done was one of the coolest things I've seen in our marriage.  I could hear Boys of Fall playing in my head and about lost it. 

Let me back up. 

For those of you who know me...I am not a football fan.  Not because I don't like it...but, mainly because I don't understand a lick of it.  Last night's game was not much different.  I will tell you that every once in awhile, I am watching the game.  I can never find the ball after the snap.  I don't understand a single "call" the referee makes...and don't even ask me if I know the final score of the game.  I probably didn't see it. 

Two years ago, the football team had what I remember to be kind of a rough season.  Our last chance to play in a (playoff game?)or to advance in the playoffs...I can't remember...was to win a game against our biggest rival...the Rose Hill Rockets.  Rose Hill is ten minutes away from here and I kid you not...our BIGGEST RIVAL.  I can remember that we were losing the game.  And in my coach's wife head...I was celebrating.  Football would be over.  WAHOOOOOOOO!!!  I would have my husband back!  The kids could see their Dad on the weekends!  No more planning...no more stress!  No more late nights of equipment being put up or early mornings of game planning!  Goodbye Football.

As I was strapping Little into his stroller and and practically skipping to the parking lot...THE CROWD WENT WILD.  I can remember it like it was yesterday.  In slow motion, I turned to see what had happened...and our QB had "hailed a Mary?" down the field and one of our receivers jumped up and caught the ball in the BACK CORNER OF THE END ZONE.  The music was blaring, but I could barely hear it.  I just stood there while everyone around me was jumping and screaming with joy.  I can remember in my mind I was dropping to my knees shouting WHY GOD....WHHHHHHHYYYYYYYY? But on the outside I was saying things in a monotone voice like..."That is just so great.  I am so happy that he just caught that ball.  What a pass.  Wow.  This night could not get any better."  Stand up for the Champions was playing in the background as people danced around shouting and singing.  And I...crouched down behind my stroller pretending to fold a blanket...started to cry.

Okay...that seemed a little melodramatic, but I wanted you to understand how far I've come in the last few years(and the whole scene totally happened).  Last night...I was of course thinking...okay great.  One more game...at least.  FANTASTIC.  But after watching the boys celebrate their accomplishments, and then seeing Coach being so proud of the kids...my heart melted.  Play on players.  I am happy to support you and I'll do my best to not get upset with Coach not being around for another couple of weeks.

My husband is a wonderful man.  His influence on the lives of these young men is so important.  All of the coaches play a very important part in the lives of the football boys.  They fill a role that no one else can.  So in my moments of selfishness...I have to remember that these men are there for the boys.  They are there to not only teach them football, but to teach them about life.  The kind of lessons you can't learn from just being told.  They are shining examples of His light to the players.  And I am pretty glad to say...I am married to one.

So...do what you do football boys.  And we'll be supporting you from the Coach's Wives section on Tuesday!

Have a Blessed Friday and a Safe and Happy Halloween!  You'll never guess in a million years what the boys are dressing up as.

Referee of 3

No comments: