Let me start from the beginning. I don't want you to think I like this woman just because she is awesome. I have a story of my own.
For Christmas, Coach got me a kindle and the very first book I downloaded was this.
I told my Mom last night (as we waited) that once I started, I could not put it down. For anyone out there who loves a hilarious, real, love story...this book is for you. After reading this book, I was reminded about things that I had forgotten regarding Coach and I's relationship. How it started...how it felt...how far it has come...and so on. I don't want to ruin the book for anyone, but it reminded me so much of how Coach and I started out 14 years ago.
Anyway, after reading the book, I found out Ree had a cooking show on the food network. Apparently she has been doing these shows for awhile now. I got in on her second season and have loved every show. Reasons I love her show...
- It is a 30 minute program with commercials. This means that my attention span can handle the time allotted for the show.
- She is funny. I like funny. I like that she can laugh at herself. Her honesty is so real.
- She makes recipes that even I can follow. Note I said follow...not make without mistakes. Most people could whip up something of hers in no time. This girl can at least get all the ingredients and fake it.
- She includes her family. I love that. I realize that this group of people appears to be perfect. But I know better. I like to imagine her hallway being lined with laundry baskets and that sometimes she sits in the pantry and eats cookie dough when the cameras aren't watching. I like to think that her kids maybe sometimes talk back and that her kitchen doesn't always look like it does on TV.
She is a blogger. I am a blogger. She is funny. I attempt funny. She has a dog. I have a dog. She lives on a ranch. She is a photographer. She is an amazing cook. She is famous. She is a blogger. I am a blogger. You get my point...right? I just like her.
So last night...
A little while back, I heard that Ree (I call her by her first name because now that we've met, I consider myself a friend) was coming to Wichita for a book signing. I decided I wouldn't miss it for anything.
Except of course, for baseball, soccer, and anything else that might come up. I wrote about it. I facebooked my disappointment. And the response was so great! I have some of the best people in my life. I knew I should go for myself, but I also know I'd feel terribly guilty if Middle had a big hit and Momma wasn't there to see it. I knew I'd kick myself for years to come. So...I kindly wrote my friend Ree an email and told her I wouldn't be able to meet her. (I totally did this). I let her know where I'd be when she got finished if she felt like stopping by the baseball fields to kindly sign my book. And that was that.
Until I saw the forecast. Rain...RAIN RAIN RAIN!!! Glorious Rain! All of the activities that were preventing me from seeing Ree were outside. I had better get tickets...I thought to myself. Just in case. I called the bookstore and reserved two tickets. I wasn't even sure who would be crazy enough to go with me. (I should have known it would be the woman who gave birth to me) So tickets in hand and books to be signed...we waited. As I was sitting at my desk yesterday, I heard the rain. It rained and it poured. And all events were cancelled...except Little's soccer practice. (this my friends is another story completely) So I called my Mom and we were set to leave at 5:15pm. The first 500 people would get in to listen to Ree's presentation. Our tickets were 1213 and 1214. So we took our time. We stopped for coffee...we put on our lipstick in the car...and we walked about a mile from where we parked...in boots...for Ree of course. We walked in and there were about 8 people in front of us. Odd...where have all the people gone? I thought to myself. Then, a woman come up and said the next 10 people...come with me. I was giddy. WE GOT IN TO HEAR HER SPEAK! Which I realize isn't a huge deal to some people, but I was so excited! Let me put this into terms you can understand. I was BLACK FRIDAY excited!!!
We listened and then we waited. We waited and we waited. We waited some more. We talked about food...and called Chick fil a to see what time they closed. We waited some more. And then it was our turn. WE WERE NEXT...and Ree needed a bathroom break. So we waited some more. And then...I met her. My words were perfect. So eloquent. I was able to say exactly what I wanted to tell her.
That is a lie.
What I said was...wait for it...
This is overwhelming!
Yes. It was. She laughed and looked at me. And then laughed again. She said..."yes, this is very overwhelming!"
Wow. I am really glad I took the time to come up with the right thing to say. I am lucky I didn't blurt out something about food as I was starving. My brain was mush from being hungry and waiting. But I met her...and I got my picture taken. And we are now...really...friends...I think.
She did sign my Charlie book to Mrs. Nelson for my classroom. And then she asked what I taught. I said...I am still in school.
Wow. Again. REALLY? I quickly corrected myself that I had gone back to school to finish my teaching degree I started long ago. GET ME OUT OF HERE...was all I could think. The good thing about it was that she was exhausted and I don't know that she was even comprehending what I was saying. I didn't tell her that I had made and not burnt her meatloaf. I didn't tell her how much I loved her book and how it inspired me to remember my own love story. I didn't tell her how I love her blog and how real she is. Just that I was overwhelmed and I'd been in school for a long time. Awesome.
Oh well...I got her to sign my books and had a wonderful evening with my Mom. It was a blessing. We had luck on our side...time to spend together and in the presence of the great Pioneer Woman...and we had a cheeseburger on the way home. That cheeseburger tasted so good...you would have thought I'd never had one before. It was a great night. I didn't miss anyone sports...Coach was super supportive...and Mom and I had fun.
Sometimes...in the craziest ways...life just works out.
Have a blessed day!
Ree Talking about Marlboro Man
Ree talking about Charlie
Feeling Pretty Lucky!
Yay Us!
Even Marlboro Man had to sign books!
Still Waiting...
Mom, My good friend Ree...and me...the Referee of 3
Have a Blessed day!
Referee of 3

1 comment:
This is so great! I am so happy that you got to meet her, but I believe that it is Ree, who God blessed with your presence!
Post a Comment