9Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.
As I laid there last night typing away about my boys growing up and going to different schools...and I shed a tear thinking about them growing up...I suddenly remembered that school IS starting and I won't have to listen to them fighting on an all day every day basis anymore! WAHOOOO! No really...they fight. My sister and I fought and I know we did it quite often using hair brushes and our nails...but these boys fight like CRAZY! When I ask..."why did you do that to him?", I get "because HE did it to ME first!" I can't tell you how many times I have said this summer..."please show your brother some respect!"
I came across this devotional that I thought was somewhat perfect for the boys...and for all of us.
You probably learned the golden rule as a child: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. So often we take that verse and reword to say, Do unto others as they do unto you. We justify our actions because others treated us badly first. But God wants us to treat others the way we want to be treated before they do anything to us. He also wants us to treat others the way we want to be treated after others treat us unkindly.Isn't that so true? We justify our bad choices by blaming others for doing it "first". Well, she snubbed me, so I am not going to talk to her anymore! But what if that person was having a bad day? What if that person didn't even see me...even though I think she did? What if I have done something to her to justify her actions? There is no better time than the present to turn things around for someone in need. And if someone hurts your feelings, you do nothing, but love them back. Because that is what God tells us to do. That is part of understanding and passing on His love.
As we strive to be more like Jesus, we need to make the traits and characteristics that he taught us more a part of our everyday lives. Jesus was kind, gracious, understanding, and patient. But how often do we treat those around us with those qualities? Today, make a list of the ways you wish others would treat you, and then strive to do the same
1 Peter 3:9
Don't repay evil for evil. Don't retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will bless you for it. (WayFM Life on the Way devotional)
Okay all...have a wonderful day!
Amy
ps~Joanne...yes it is SCARY! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment