Tuesday, August 7, 2012

School, Crock Pot, Football (and cookie dough)



School is starting and football shadows that.  We have supplies all over our living room and clothes, shoes, backpacks, and schedules ready for next week.  I am DREADING sending Little to Kindergarten, but I know it is the best place for him.  I made Coach write his name on all of his supplies and pack them in his bag.  I couldn't do it.  I am going to need sugary reinforcements to get him through the doors.  No...let me rephrase that.  I am going to need sugary reinforcements to get me back out of the doors.  I think Little will be just fine.  He'll be happy to see his friends and his new teacher.  And I will be sad all the way to the van.  I am not a fan of the first day of Kindergarten.  With Big, I was too naive to even think it would happen.  I dropped him off and confidently walked out of the building.  When the door closed, I was overwhelmed with emotion that I didn't see coming.  I sobbed all the way home and cried when I got back to the house.  This very well could have been the start of my cookie dough addiction.  



With Middle, I knew it was coming.  To be honest, he had a teacher that frightened me a little.  She had that no nonsense look that said...you WILL NOT cry.  Do you understand me?  YOU WILL NOT CRY.  I could see it in her eyes.  So I dropped him off, waved, and left...without a tear in my eye.  The outside of the building had a different effect though.  I cried and cried...all the way to the van.  And then I had a headache from trying not to cry in front of the intimidating teacher.  


So we'll see what happens.  Prayers would be appreciated, and cookie dough would be a must.  

The Crock Pot.  This invention will become one of my biggest allies this football season.  I will dig it out from the cabinet under the bar, and will use and abuse it for the next four months.  (at least)  It allows me to plan ahead, start dinner in the morning, and have it ready for not one, not two, not three...but all five of our schedules for the night.  We'll have Big coming from middle school practice at about the time Middle is leaving for 5th grade practice.  Somewhere in between, we'll have Little's flag football practice and Coach will get home when he gets home.  I will tag out and head to class as Coach tags in for showers and bed time.  I learned a long time ago not even to ask what time practice is over.  It doesn't matter.  When I can no longer hear the whistles on the practice field, I know we have at least another 30 to 45 minutes before he'll roll in.  I used to get FURIOUS with this, but my schedule has become as busy as his.  Before the kids schedules were so crazy, I would get annoyed.  Now that I have their lives and my school to focus on, I see Coach whenever we get done.  The picture below is my support staff during this time.  We are football wives and that is how we roll.  


To all the busy moms out there who are fellow crock pot lovers, here are a couple of helpful links.  Pinterest has some great recipes for the crock pot and I am excited to try some of these myself.  Also, the Crock Pot Website offers some wonderful recipes that I might have in one of my many crock pot cookbooks.  





Football practice started last night.  I didn't realize we were this close to the season until 4:00pm rolled around.  Middle had his first practice scheduled for 7:00pm.  By 4:00, he had all of his gear on, ready to go.  He and Little were throwing a football around in the living room while I was trying to finish a paper for one of my finals.  I was fine with it until the football hit my clock.  I might have lost my cool.  But SERIOUSLY.  It was then that I realized, football season was really happening.  After a search through the pantry and a couple of comfort sugar wafers, I found myself ready to "tackle" the preparations.  

  • Practice and Game Schedules posted and given to family members
  • Weekly menus made
  • Weekend schedules cleared through November to allow for multiple football games Thurs. through Sun.
  • Water coolers washed and stored where they can be found...easily.  
  • Mouth pieces boiled and ready.
  • Hoodies and cookie dough easily accessible.  (Don't judge me.)
This is just what I can remember for now.  There are so many things I need to do to get ready for this time of year.  

Stressed, but blessed.  That is how I am choosing to look at the upcoming schedule.  We are crazy.  We are busy.  We have each other and I am blessed.  I will proudly wear my sparkly football Mom shirt and hoodie.  I will prepare meals and will not worry about the house.  I will work my hardest to get through my baby going to school, my big playing middle school football, my middle growing up, my Coach being gone, my last semester of school starting, and my life changing.  Who's with me?  Cookie dough on three...

1.
2.
3.














Yes Please.

Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3


Also-prayers would be greatly appreciated for a couple of friends of mine in the loss of their mom.  Lena Grill and family, and Janelle  Durham and family.  Thank you!

No comments: