Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Forgive & Love Them Well...

I learned two things on my way to work today.  Well three...but, two that are relevant to your lives as well as mine. 

I heard on the Way Fm or K-Love this morning (can't remember which one) a story about a Dad and his son.  The son came in after a piano lesson with tears in his eyes.  The son was seventeen years old and had just started with a new piano teacher that day.  He got confused driving to his house and ended up being five minutes late to the lesson.  The teacher berated him for being late (life lesson...I get it) and then continued to tell him as he played that he was terrible and wouldn't amount to anything when it came to his music.  (paraphrase)  The son came in to share the story with his Dad and the Dad was furious.  Furious that someone would be so mean...and say such soul crushing things to his child.  When the father asked if he could contact the teacher to let him know this was unacceptable, the son said "No".  The father then asked the son what he wanted to do with this situation and the son said..."forgive".  "Now?", asked the father?  "No, not yet.", said the son.  The father then told the son to take it up with God before he went to sleep and find a way to forgive the teacher for his lack of understanding and compassion in life.  He then reminded his son of the saying "hurtful people hurt". 

Hurtful people hurt. 

So true...hurtful people hurt...meaning this.  People who hurt others with their words and their actions, usually are hurting deeper and beyond the moment that involves you.  So often we forget that.  Selfishly, we think their anger is all about us.  Truth be told, something is hurting them from within...and when our souls get crushed by their actions, we should forgive them.  Because we too have been forgiven.  It doesn't mean we have to continually be walked on.  We cannot control how others respond to us.  To think that we can is just crazy.  What we can control is how we react to their response.  We are human meaning we are imperfect.  But we are made in his image and should reflect how He would treat others.  We know that means forgiving.

Love Them Well...

I write on this blog for two reasons.  One, to put my thoughts on "paper".  I make sense of what is happening in my head by writing posts on this blog.  Two, I write this blog so that others can maybe find peace where I find it.  I love writing and I love seeing how it helps others.  But I need help as much as the next person.  I read several blogs and one in particular I wanted to share with you today.  I know this will shock you, but I was crying by the end.  It is so very true and well written.  After reading this post, make it your goal this week to live life loving well.  Love Them Well

The third thing I learned today is that raising teenagers is going to be more difficult than I thought.  More on this later.  For now I will forgive him and love him well. 

I would like to ask for prayers for a family in need.  Some friends of ours from Derby had a child involved in a horrendous accident over the weekend.  The accident left their eighteen year old son Colby losing both of his legs below the knee.  Their life has changed drastically in the last few days and I just wanted to ask you to lift them up as they find their new normal.  Colby is alive and this alone is a great blessing.  The family has a long road ahead and I know it will take moments when they survive on those who continue to pray for their strength.  Please lift up the Liston family in prayer.  Thank you!

Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3

No comments: