Until now.
I used to love the chaos. I loved the busy-ness. I loved the people and the crowds. I loved buying new clothes and seeing old friends.
I think I still love it, but I am too tired to remember. Let me show you why.
Reason number one.
Big.
He'll be 13 in a month. He has a 13 year old brain. He doesn't think before he does anything. He stayed the night with a friend last night and by the time I got to him this morning, he was having a full on allergy attack due to the fact that he forgot his medicine. He had no money...and he was tired from lack of sleep. I couldn't decide if he was my favorite or my least favorite child this morning dealing with all of their antics.
Reason number two.
He's 10 going on 22. He has my personality and attitude. He thinks with a 10 year old brain that I am all too familiar with. He left with his friends this morning forgetting to take his money. Which meant us trying to make arrangements to get him what he needed while we were running around like chickens getting allergy medicine, money for brother, and a diet Pepsi to calm my nerves. It was now a tie between this one and the older one as to which one was my least favorite.
Reason number three.
And then there is this one. He's five. He had a nightmare that woke us up at 4am. I was tired as a result. He was afraid as a result. We were dealing with the brothers and all of their antics trying to enjoy the turtle races. I missed the race of the turtle and Little refused to participate in kid races.
In realizing one of my most favorite times of the year isn't going to be my favorite with two growing boys and a five year old...I did the only thing I could think to do. I took a nap and called my Mom.
"How did you do it when Chele and I were this age?"
She laughed. She said those were some of the hardest years of her life.
Fabulous.
I remember this time being fun because I was in complete control of my children. Even though they were little and had total meltdowns over juice and spilled goldfish, they were right there. They didn't need money. They didn't want to leave and "hang" with their friends. They needed their Momma. And they could be trapped in a stroller. Oh how I miss the stroller.
I guess change comes with life. I will deal. I will find a new way to love Old Settlers again.
Perhaps a super taco and a funnel cake will help?
Have a great day!
Referee of 3

No comments:
Post a Comment