Thursday, September 22, 2011

Falling In

I sometimes feel like a broken record when I discuss certain topics, but this one just keeps surfacing.  Here we are, well into our school year, and I can barely keep my head above water.  I have talked to several other Moms who feel the same way.  And even those who don't actually say it...you can see it in their tired eyes.  We are busy with activities and schedules day in and day out.  It is never ending here at our home.  And I love the craziness for the most part.  Staying busy means we don't have a lot of down time to argue about things that don't matter. (even though we find time to argue about who is riding in the front seat almost every time we get in the car to go somewhere) We don't have a ton of time to make messes...we just live in the continual mess that started when school started a few weeks back. 

Time is just moving faster than I can keep up and I have had it.  I said to myself yesterday...

Self...something has to give.
But what?  School and work are not an option, even though there are days when I wish they were.  Football is not an option...because we'd be letting down two teams.  The Kyrie Foundation walk was not an option, because we put too much time and effort in to let that go, and because it means so very much to all of us.  Church is not an option, because it is the one place that helps us renew and regain strength for the next week.  So what gives?

Something has to give.
I think I may have figured it out.  Perfection.  And as it turns out, I've been less than perfect for quite some time now so it isn't a huge thing for me to let go of.  Perfection.  A friend once shared with me that her new motto was

Done is better than perfect.

And the truth of the matter is, no one expects us to be perfect.  Not even God.  He knows we are going to fall short.  He knows we have earthly weaknesses.  He knows we get our priorities all messed up from time to time, and He is still with us with every step. 

If we do the things on our daily list with a Godly heart...and we include Him in all that we do, we'll all find ourselves swimming instead of sinking.  There will always be moments when we can't find someone's football pants right before practice.  Or when the smoke detector is going off in the kitchen because browning the hamburger took on a whole new meaning.  The house isn't going to be perfect until these boys are gone.  And I am not ready for that.  What I have to wrap my mind around is that NO ONE expects perfection.  There comes a point where the only one putting pressure on ourselves is us.  And it is time to let that go.

The house will be a mess.  Live in it.

The kids will be tired and cranky from time to time.  Love them anyway.

The important things in our lives will have kinks.  Roll with it anyway.

School (or whatever it is you are doing with your time) will become overwhelming at times.  Finish anyway.

Work will create stress some days.  Learn from it.

Allow yourself to handle the pressures of day to day living and try not to fall.  But always know that when you fall, there is someone there to help you back up.  There is something to be learned in every stressful, chaotic moment...you just have to be listening.

Here we go again.  It is Thursday and we have a full plate.  Today, instead of getting crazy stressed about our lives, I am going to attempt to live it, love it, roll with it, and learn from it.  I'll let you know how that works out. 

Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3

3 comments:

DeAnn Huxman said...

Once again you have nailed down exactly how I've been feeling. Thank you for putting it in perspective. I'm feeling the same way and there is nothing that can can "give". The one other thing I need to do is turn it all over to the Lord, to relieve my stress! Thanks again for another post spoken directly to me. Have a great rest of the week as we let go of perfection.

Anonymous said...

As a mother of three very active now grown-up kids, I can offer a bit of advice. There will be plenty of years for you to have perfection after your kids have moved on to their own lives. Your house can be clean, your laundry done and your schedules orderly. And when that happens, you'll want the chaos back! LOL Live for each day instead of looking ahead for what's to come. I envy your messes and activities and the family bonding that comes with it all. Have a wonderful day!

humblepie said...

So true, Amy-loo! I don't even have the kiddos and I ask the same questions! I quote your mantra a lot. "Done is better than perfect." And as a recovering perfectionist, it has given me great support as I just roll with it. I make the to do list and just work my way through it, one thing at a time. Such an inspirational attitude toward all of these demands. It's taken me awhile—years!—but I totally share your outlook, too: roll with it. ;)