This week's devotions have all been entitled 'When There's a Hole in your Soul'. And I am telling you...I have yet to find one that didn't effect me personally.
One was about realizing there is a hole in your soul. The kind of hole that we try to fill with things like clothing...food...alcohol (wine specifically and Guilty As Charged).
And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19)
One was about needing to control things in your life. (only to find out that the only thing controlling you is the need to control things you can't control...What?)
Don't worry about anything; instead pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. (Philippians 4:6)
One was about letting your job eat a hole in our soul. Are we doing something we enjoy? Or are we either bored with our job or is it too much. Are we in over our heads with something we do for a living? I have to be honest with you...I actually skipped this one to begin with because it was all about work. I stay at home...but then I realized...I am working here too. So I went back and read it and it totally applied to my life. Funny how I thought I could control what God wanted me to read...
God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen. (1 Peter 4:10-11)
And then one was about being cheated. We have all been cheated in this life. Or at least wronged in some way, shape or form. But it is the hatred that we hang onto that causes that hole to get bigger and bigger. The author wrote at the bottom of this devotion
Feeling cheated results in anger, and over time, anger turns to bitterness.I love that. Because it is so true. I have those people...and I am sure you do too. It is time to forgive and start allowing that hole to fill with love.
Bitterness is a poison that slowly eats a hole in your soul. Forgiveness works
as your antacid.
Ellen Miller, Inspiration for Girlfriends
Be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you. (Ephesians 4:32)
My point in telling you all of these things is this. Here I am thinking I am on the right track with God. And then I read these devotions. And I feel that twinge of pain in my heart...telling me that I am off roading a bit. Each of these devotions shared the verses that I included and that really helped me to see how He can help with all of this.
Just when I think I am making strides...I look in the mirror and am faced with the reality. The reality that I need God. Every day. Every night. Every interaction with someone. Every conversation. I need Him to be present...so that I can share His love with others that have a void to fill.
Have a Blessed Day all!
Referee of 3
No comments:
Post a Comment