Thursday, February 14, 2013

We've Come A Long Way Baby...er...uh...Son

Snuggle Puppy was his favorite story when he was little.

We read it every night.  This adorable book by Sandra Boynton was given to us by his Nana and became part of our nightly routine.

OOOOOOOOOO Snuggle puppy of mine,
Everything about is especially fine,
I love who you are and I love what you do,
OOOOOOOOOO Snuggle puppy...I Love You!

Middle loved to hear me attempt to sing this book.  And I loved to sing it to him.

That was when he was little.  We don't read that book anymore because he is bigger now.  11 to be exact.  11 years ago at this time, I was at the hospital in labor with my Middle.  His Mimi said it would happen.  And as any stubborn daughter would say, I disagreed.  Sure enough...his Mimi knew.

Middle made his grand entrance into the world at approximately 1:13pm on February 14th, 2002.  He was a beautiful baby.  I gladly welcomed the very best valentine's gift I could have been given.  The gift that keeps on giving if you will.

Middle was a strong willed toddler.  He pushed buttons and found ways to bring out the best and worst in his Momma.  Since he was very small, I have decorated the house with hearts and love for his birthday.  It is only right seeing how he was born on the day of LOVE.  But, for the last few years...he's been objecting to my love theme.  "Mom...do we have to have hearts for my birthday?"  "Mom...do I have to take heart cookies for my birthday again?"  "Mom...why did you put hearts all over my KU cake?"  This year...Middle had one very important request.  "No hearts.  None.  Not on the wall...not on my cake...not on my treats for school...please."  I agreed...and then went and cried my eyes out in the closet of my room.  No hearts?  But honey!  You were my valentine!  You were my sweet, little, love puppy!  Don't you remember?  And now...you don't want any hearts?

Pass the cookie dough please.

Our kids grow up.  They grow up and they start making their own decisions.  Decisions that we don't always agree with, but must learn to respect.  Ugh.


No hearts on the cake.  I decided to surprise Middle with a Michael Jordan cake instead.  Thankfully...it was socially acceptable to add red to the cake color scheme.  That for me...was a small victory.  Red on the cake with no hearts.  Red meaning the color of love.  Red meaning the color of roses.  Red meaning he is still and always will be my valentine...and my snuggle puppy.

Middle's smile can light up a room.  His heart is full of love.  He has the best and the worst of my personality.  He seems to have only picked up on the best of his Dad's personality. He loves football, basketball, baseball, and has even found a new love for wrestling.  He is independent and strong.  He is a blessing and we are so very proud of him.

Middle...We love you so much.  We've come a long way my little snuggle...er...uh...my sweet son!  Happy Birthday 11th Birthday!  I hope your day is as special as you are to us!



Have a Blessed Day!
Referee of 3

No comments: