Unless of course you are talking about one of my children.
I think any sane mother would agree that if someone messes with your children, all bets are off.
But when the competition becomes about college basketball...and it blows up on Facebook ...and it becomes somewhat insulting on a personal level...I have to draw the line.
I am not one that usually gets involved in the collegiate level sports fight. (or involved in sports at any level) This is for two reasons.
1. I don't understand the game enough to talk smack on Facebook about it.
2. I don't care enough about the game or sports in general to get involved.
I do like the Yankees because of Derek Jeter. (Don't panic. Coach knows.)
However...I am a Mother. Above all other things. The Mom in me comes out when I see the Facebook insulting taking place.
Some "fun" is okay. But sometimes it gets plain ugly. I saw a few examples of this after last night's game. I'm not a KU fan per say...and I'm not a KSU fan either. To be honest, I'm not much of a basketball fan unless one of my kids is playing.
Two things happened that I observed when I wasn't playing Candy Crush.
1. The refs missed a call that could have changed the game. (in my humble opinion) This has happened before...I believe.
2. KU won. (yay for the KU fans!)
I'm not sure past that why the insult slinging happened other than there was some dispute about the number one spot in the Big 12? Yes? No? (I passed level 33 on Candy Crush...this is what matters people)
Bottom line.
Facebook is a place for people to voice their opinions and talk about funny stuff like screaming goats and people who accidentally put on their children's clothing.
I learned something a long time ago from my parents and it stuck with me.
If you can't say anything nice...don't say anything at all.
I realize this can be a difficult task. And I'm not saying you HAVE to do this. I am just saying that you'll get further in life if you quiet yourself if you cannot find a kind word to say.
If you are a fan...be a fan. Root for your team. Cheer! Yell at the refs (from time to time and within reason...okay, maybe not at all). But don't insult the other team. It isn't nice and it isn't necessary.

No comments:
Post a Comment