Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Diet Dr. Pepper

Sister and I were working away on some Christmas items on the computer when it was time to pick up our take out dinner we had ordered. 

"I'll go.", says Coach.

"No...you'll screw it up.", I said.

It's one of those comments that just slips out.  You don't mean to say it even though you may or may not be thinking it. 

"I mean...ugh...you go.  It will be fine."

So I hand him the list of things we've ordered and what to get the kids.  I also added a list of drinks.  Two diet cokes and ONE diet Dr. Pepper.  For me.  Because I am high maintenance and get headaches when I drink diet Coke. 

You'll never guess what happens next. 

Coach got me diet Coke.  It was somewhat like an out of body experience, but I really let him have it. 

Long story short...the only argument I could come up with was that it wasn't really about the drink.  Remember the argument in White Men Can't Jump?  When the girlfriend says she's thirsty and he gives her a drink of water?  And she freaks out?  This is very similar.  If I can remember correctly...the actress wanted her boyfriend to sympathize with her for being thirsty...not just get her a drink.  This is a perfect example of man brain vs. woman brain. 

It wasn't about the drink.  It was about the fact that he didn't pay attention to the detail.  The detail I put on the paper.  The detail that diet Coke gives me headaches. 

And I berated him.  BIG TIME.  For that?  Yes...shamefully so. 

Now before you get all mad at me...I apologized.  Coach wasn't quite ready to forgive me.  Which was fine.  (not really, but for the sake of saving face on my blog...it was fine)

But this morning in church...his wounds still fresh...our video lesson in Sunday School said these words...

Joseph had the right to be angry.  (Referring to the fact that Mary was with child BEFORE they were married...by someone other than him)  But he showed her mercy...instead.

Instead of yelling and screaming.
Instead of saying mean things.
Instead of making her feel worse than I can imagine she already felt. 
Instead of insulting her intelligence and her character.
Instead of turning his back on her.

He showed her mercy instead.

I am telling you what...there are times in this life when I feel like I am getting up after a fall more than I am walking.  Apparently, I fall down a lot.  Still living...still loving...and still learning every step of the way.

So...the next time someone makes a mistake...on purpose...or accidentally...show them mercy instead.

Have a blessed week!
Referee of 3

No comments: