Saturday, April 30, 2011

Jealousy...Jealousy...Jealousy

There was a song in the 90's called Jealousy...by the Gin Blossoms.  I am dating myself here, but I LOVE that song.  In fact, it is on my ipod and I attempt to remember and sing all the words as I clean my house.  I am sure the boys absolutely love when I clean the house.  Lots of 90's music from their Momma...and not always the right words.  I was famous...(and by famous...I mean well known by my Sister and friends) for making up words to songs.  And I always just went with it.  Right or wrong...I really didn't care if it made sense or not.  Because to the outside world who would watch me rock out inside my car...they had no idea I was singing the wrong words.  I just looked like I knew the whole song.  (very cool I am sure)

Anyway...I don't even remember what the song was about anymore, but this morning...it came to mind when I got on facebook and saw all these pictures of my friends who were getting ready to run their big races today!  It is that time of year again.  There is a 2k walk or a 5k run for everything.  Half marathons and Full marathons for anyone out there that feels crazy enough to run them.  (And friends...I mean crazy in the nicest possible way)  And here I sit.  Bathrobe...coffee mug...and bed head.  Typing away.  Wondering why I can't find the motivation to be a runner. 

It is one of those things that I have wanted to do for so long...but wanted to from a distance.  Meaning...I've tried very little to make it happen.  Like graduating from College.  I've looked at a couple of College websites.  I've met with an advisor and applied for financial aid.  But...that is about it.  I want to finish school so bad.  I want to graduate more than anyone can imagine...and I would LIKE to do it before Big gets there.  But...want to from a distance.  Because the list of reasons "I Can't" is waaaaaaaaaay longer than the list of reasons "I Can".  Same for running a race.  I have started running a million times.  Okay...that is a lie.  I have started running several times.  I have run for a couple of months and then bailed.  Time restraints...weather...illness...schedules...you name it...it has caused me to bail on running.

You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”

So does this mean I cannot covet my neighbor's motivation to run?  Because I do.  I so very much do covet other people's motivation...their commitment to completing a task.  I can guarantee that if you went back in this blog there would be at least three posts about how I am starting training for a race...and you never ever see the pics of when I cross the finish line.  Ugh.

But maybe...just maybe...running isn't my "thing".  Still a goal of mine.  But not my "thing".  So what is my "thing"?  Is this my "thing"?  Is motherhood my "thing"?  Surely driving a minivan and coupon shopping at Walmart isn't my "thing"...is it? 

Oh man...what if it is?

I guess I will embrace it.  And I will post pictures of me doing my thing on facebook for others to covet.  Because who wouldn't covet my life?  Honestly...who?  I am  laughing as I type this by the way.  We have it so good here.  My kids enjoy life...they have what they need...and we love each other the way God intended for families to love each other.  And I can do a mean coupon shopping trip if I do say so myself.  :D  Be jealous.

No...on a completely serious note.  We are to be happy for those in our lives that are doing things we wish we could be doing.  We should be using their motivation to fuel our own desires to finish that task.  So to all of my super cute, super motivated Mommy friends that are running races today...YOU GO GIRL!  Cross the finish line and be so proud of your accomplishments.  And at the end of the day today...I too will be proud of taxi cabbing to Colwich for a baseball tournament...attending a friend's baby shower...and enjoying a night with friends. 

And at the end of the day...no matter what we have accomplished...if we do it with a Godly heart, He'll say...

Well done good and faithful servant...well done. 

Have a Blessed weekend!
Referee of 3

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so absolutely right - it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do it with a Godly heart! Said perfectly! You have many gifts and touch people in ways that others of us can't. This blog touches MANY, MANY people and the influence is incredible! Keep up YOUR gifts from God! They all make a difference.

JoAnne said...

You can RUN out of M$M's.....you can RUN out of diet pepsi. And you RUN a MEAN blog! :) I'm jealous of your ability to blog :) And I'm jealous that you have PR and ML. I'm working on that one though.