Friday, April 8, 2011

Being Still

This has never been one of my stronger points...being still.  I have never been one to be in one place for very long and I always lost at the quiet game.  For those of you who know me...this won't come as a surprise.  I am just not one that is okay with the wait.  The patiently part of patiently waiting is not something that comes easily.  But as changes continue to come fast and furiously, I wonder...in the grand scheme of things...how am  I handling all of this?

I had to run something to the school district office yesterday morning and I happen to drive down the street where my sister and her husband lived when they were first married.  I was in a hurry, but saw the house and immediately slowed down.  I looked at the sidewalk that my brother in law and a friend put in so long ago.  I thought about how much time I spent at that house when I was in college and when they were first married.  Then it hit me.  I thought about my 12 year old nephew that was born when they lived there.  12 years.  Wow.  Where did that time go?  And why in the past 12 years, hadn't I had this moment that I was having now?  Why had I waited so long to slow down and think about the changes in my life?  No time I guess.

No time to think about the fact that we have had so many wonderful blessings.  No time to be grateful for the lives we've been given and the way we've been living.  No time to look back on what we've learned the hard way, and the accomplishments that we've made without struggle. 

And not because of baseball...or bunco...or kid's programs...or anything other than the simple fact that we chose not to slow down. 

Change is all around us.  And those of you who read this blog, know I am not good with change.  But change makes me do one thing.  Well two things actually.  1.  Move Furniture and 2. Re-evaluate.  I force myself to slow down and really consider the things that have happened in my life that brought me to that point.  And then I force myself to be grateful for every bit of it.  The good, the bad, the ugly and the Awesome.  It allows me to be still.

So, in the middle of the road on Emery street...I sat in my van for just a couple of minutes.  Thinking about all that has happened in the past 12 years...and got excited for what is to come.

We can't go back.

We can't change what has happened.

We can learn from every single bit of it...even the parts we'd rather not remember.

We can use that knowledge to make the choices that will reflect our love for Jesus and for our families onto others and we can be the light unto someone's path.

Yesterday was the 4th anniversary of when Kyrie Thome went to be with Jesus.  Kyrie's Dad wrote on his facebook last night...

There is NOTHING more Precious than TIME. The Time we are given is a gift, make the most of it, have NO Regrets!

So...very...true.

No regrets.  Live today for Jesus.  Show others His love through your actions.  Be still and know that He is God...and that He is in control.  So that when you drive down memory lane...you have nothing but goodness to remember.

Have a blessed and happy Friday!
Referee of 3

Big's team is playing in a tournament this weekend and so is Middle's team.  Middle still has his cast so he won't be on the field, but we'll be there cheering them on. 

Go Jags and Wildcats!

1 comment:

Ksannie said...

Isn't Memory Lane wonderful? I've been doing that a great deal this past couple of weeks regarding time well spent with my dear friend Sherry! No regrets, just precious memories that remind me how "Precious time is" and what a "gift it truly becomes" . . . NO REGRETS!

God is in control and often we can't understand his plan, however, he blesses us daily and we need to slow down and enjoy the blessings!

Love you -

Mom