Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Sticks and Stones

James 1:19-20


I can remember saying things like..."sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can  never hurt me."

As a child, I believed this when I shouted it across the playground.  As an adult, I know better.  Words can hurt.

Here lately, I've seen them hurt a lot.  And I just wanted to put out a little reminder.

We are all guilty of saying things that are less than kind.  We do the exact opposite of what this verse tells us to do.  We choose only to "listen" to bits and pieces of what is being told.  We are quick to speak and quick to anger.  We are quick to react and slow to forgive.  In these actions, we are doing the exact opposite of what we are to do in living as a reflection of Christ.

I was talking with a friend just the other day about how we are only responsible for ourselves.  We cannot control the actions of those around us.  We can only control ourselves and how we react and respond to sticks, stones, and words.  We can be quick to anger or we can be gracious and loving.  We can know that we know that we know...or we can show that we show that we show His love...His grace...and His mercy.

Sometimes this is easier said than done.  I want to react like no one's business when my feelings are hurt.  I want to correct those who give false information.  I am tempted to "unfriend" those who disagree or speak out of turn.

And then...as I'm talking with Coach this morning, he reads a tweet written by a student athlete of his...and it is this bible verse.

19 My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.

Words can hurt...yes they can...

But THE WORD can heal and restore.  So can a cup of coffee and blueberry french toast.  And today...they did.

Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3


No comments: