This parenting thing is not for the weak.
I know this...because I am a parent. Fortunately we haven't had too many issues with the kids thus far.
Please know I say this knowing full well...we'll have our fair share of issues.
I know this...because I was one of those kids with my fair share of issues growing up.
Sometimes, as my Big gets himself into "situations"...I worry. I worry that he'll make a poor choice or that he'll face something that I won't be able to help him with. I'm not sure why this bothers me as I was always in something that I had to learn from. It was kind of my thing growing up. Doing the right thing was second...trying the wrong way was always my first choice. I could look back and be disappointed (and truthfully sometimes I do) or I can look back knowing I learned A LOT from my decisions.
Big is 13. His life is ahead of him and his choices are based on the mind of a 13 year old boy. This is what scares me so. He'll do something and I'll immediately ask him..."are you sure about that?" In this day and age, when asking something face to face, he struggles to talk to me. I think our kids are so used to communicating via technology and social media that they forget how to have a conversation. I also think he is a 13 year old boy and he is a lot like his Dad in the "man of few words" category.
Sometimes when Big was little, I would sit on him to get him to do what I wanted. Now I know what you are thinking, but please don't report me just yet. I would sit on his legs to keep him from kicking and I would help him get his coat on. Or I would sit on one leg while I tied one shoe. Big was a bit of a challenge when he was in the 2 to 3 year old range. I used to think we had a really bad kid. As it turns out, all 2 to 3 year olds are naughty. And if the truth were told, most mom's would admit to sitting on their child to tie their shoes. In the same way I learned that all toddlers can be a pain, I've learned that all teenagers can also be pains. I can no longer sit on Big to get him to do what I want as he is bigger than I am. So I've had to learn to speak his language.
Last night, he and I were trying to communicate via text message about something rather important. I wanted to get my point across and it wasn't happening. Finally, it occurred to me that I needed back up. I texted him this...
"...you should come back this way. Let's go get ice cream and talk."
What happened next was nothing short of a miracle. He agreed to go. He hopped in the car and we talked all the way there. We talked in the booth at Freddy's for a long time. He told me things that he was struggling with and I tried to help him. I loved every minute of our time together as it has gotten less and less as he has gotten bigger. This kid used to go everywhere I went. I would load him up and we'd take on the world. (or at least the grocery store) Now he is big and he needs me less and less...or so I thought. From Freddy's we went to the grocery story and on our way out, he said this.
"...we should do this like once a week. Just you and me Mom."
My eyes filled with tears, but I shook it off because I didn't want him to freak out and take it back. I just said..."...yea...we should."
In trying to learn how to facebook, twitter, instagram, text, and Snapchat...I've learned that really, all it takes is a little one on one and some ice cream to get this kid to talk.
And I didn't even have to sit on him.
#SpeakingHisLanguage
Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3
No comments:
Post a Comment