Sunday, December 2, 2012

What makes a miracle?










1
: an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs
2
: an extremely outstanding or unusual event, thing, or accomplishment

These are the definitions of the word miracle according to Merriam-Webster.  Today in Sunday School we discussed what the word miracle means to us.  Some of the thoughts thrown out were:
An unexplainable event
Something that happens without understanding
Something that is happens against all odds
A wonderful thing
There were others, but these are the ones that stuck in my mind.  A miracle can happen to anyone.  Another question asked was why do miracles happen to ordinary people?  I believe miracles happen to ordinary people because God wants us to know that you don't have to be an extraordinary person to be a part of something special.  
A lot has been on my heart this week about my relationship with God...why bad things happen in this world...and what to do with the emotions and feelings that come about as a result.  I don't know a lot about religion.  I was fortunate to be a part of our church's  confirmation class last year as a mentor and learned quite a bit about our church and how it came about.  But I don't know the Bible as well as I should.  What I do know is what I feel having Christ in my life.  In times of struggle, I have peace.  I know bad things happen to good people.  I know it.  I've seen it.  And I have absolutely no understanding of it.  But I have also seen people in my life come through the valley and find themselves once again on the mountain top.  This my friends is a miracle.  There are many instances of BIG miracles in our lives.  There are also small miracles that come when no one is looking.  One would be recovering from an illness.  One would be recovering from a heartbreak.  One would be being able to deal with the loss of a loved one.  One would be the birth of a child.  One would be a family in need receiving what they can't afford on their own because of the kindness of others.  Miracles happen every day. We just have to be available to see them and to help create them in the lives of others.  
The miracle of Christmas for those who believe in the real Christmas story would be how baby Jesus came to be.  How he was born to a virgin.  How he lived to tell the story.  How he died to save us from our sins.  How he promised a new life to all who love and forgive.  That is the miracle of Christmas.  What I learned this morning that I wanted to share is this...(paraphrased of course because I have a HORRIBLE memory)
Everyone of us has the potential to have a God movement in us.  We can listen.  We can pray.  We can read the bible for better understanding and guidance.  And WE...can create miracles for others.  We can do this by acting on what we feel is right.  If something is on your heart this holiday season, don't be afraid to act on it.  We can be part of someone else's Christmas miracle.  
I have three kids.  I know the excitement of Santa and presents.  I know the joy of giving and receiving.  What we are encouraged to do is to create the excitement and joy of the PRESENCE of Jesus in our Christmas. 

What makes a miracle?

YOU.  

Food for thought.
Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3 

No comments: