Friday, December 7, 2012

I Believe

It's Christmas...well almost.  Today I read a sign that said we have 18 days.

EIGHTEEN DAYS?

Good grief.

When did this happen?  Where did November go?  Why are we 7 days into December and I am just realizing the small detail that Christmas is in 18 days?

Too many questions...not enough answers.

This week, a good friend of mine went through a rough time.  God knows the details, but I'd ask that you pray for her during these upcoming months.  My sweet sister made dinner for this friend and took her a sign that said

"Believe".

In times of struggle...it is so hard to believe that there is a God.  It is hard to believe that there is a plan.  It is almost impossible to believe that there is a silver lining...or a light at the end of the tunnel.  Believing can be very difficult without understanding.  Yet that is what we're asked to do.

"Believe".

As I said in an earlier post, I have also been reading a lot on Facebook about different people's beliefs.  What they believe in.  What the believe to be a hoax.  What they believe others should feel, say, think, or do.

So this got me to thinking and asking myself...

What do I believe?  What do I believe in?

Have you ever considered this and why it is you believe the way that you do?  Or perhaps...why others believe the way they do?  What has lead them to that point in their lives?  What brought me to this point in mine?

Something to consider.

After a day full of laughter and tears...I thought I would compose a small list of what I believe.

Without further adieu...

"I Believe"

I believe in God...because I was raised in a loving, Christian home.  I have experienced hard times and miracles that can't be explained.  I choose to give this credit to God.  I asked him to live in my heart when I was 13 years old.  There were many times during this journey with Christ that I have fallen.  Each time, by the grace of God, I get back up and am an even stronger person than I was before.  I believe in God.

I believe in laughter.  There aren't many things better for the soul than a good, full out belly laugh with friends and family.  Many times in the midst of sadness, a memory brings smiles and laughter.  Other times, in stressful situations, laughter can ease tension and soften the heart.  I believe in laughter.

I believe in tears.  I have no choice.  I was born with broken tear duct controllers.  Tears are my first reaction to every emotion I've ever felt.  My tears bring tears to others...and sometimes even bring laughter.  Crying is also good for the soul.  Therefore...it's alright to cry.  As the song says...crying takes the sad out of it.

I believe in the kindness of letting people down softly.  When an honest answer might bring hurt to others, that makes me nervous.  I believe in letting people down gently.  Being considerate of other people's feelings can be one of the most descent things you can do.  Honesty is always the best policy.  But doing so with a kind heart makes the truth easier for others to hear.   Be kind.

I believe in doing good things for other people.  JUST BECAUSE.  If there is a way to be kind and do good for others, you should do it.  It can be something as small as opening a door...or smiling when you pass a person on the street.  It doesn't have to be huge, but if you do good...others notice and want to do it too.  Don't do nice things SO others will notice, but do good because you can...and you want to.  It is an amazing feeling when someone goes out of their way to do something "good" for you.

I believe in messy houses.  I don't love a messy house, but I believe in them.  My house is messy because everything else comes first.  We live very busy lives...and that's okay.  The house can wait.  I want to be proud to open the door to anyone, but I also know there aren't enough hours in the day to get it all done.  I am so grateful for moments sitting with Little...moments talking with Big...moments cooking with Middle...(don't worry...I'll have someone re-teach him how to cook before he really grows up).  Dust...hand prints...spotted mirrors.  Those things will be around forever...Big, Middle, and Little...will not.  I believe in messy houses.  (I also believe that someday...it will be clean again)  *ATTENTION MOTHER:  This does not mean that people with clean houses don't spend quality time with their children.  It simply means there aren't enough hours in my day to make cleaning this house a priority RIGHT NOW.

I believe in lazy Saturday mornings.
I believe in eating cookie dough...and not sharing with your children.
I believe in trying things twice.  If at first you don't succeed (which I don't usually) try...try again.  It didn't work out with volleyball or having a daughter...but there are others moments of success that came on the second attempt.
I believe Cheer leading is a SPORT.  *ATTENTION KERR friends:  This is a matter of opinion based on my experience.  In comparison to your experience with playing collegiate level volleyball and getting hit ON PURPOSE with balls...I get it. Now...let me get back to my "reality".
I believe in popcorn and M&Ms.  What a marvelous couple.
I believe in dancing in the kitchen.  (Unfortunately Coach does not...but Little does)
I believe in listening to Christmas music in November.
I believe in Black Friday deals...and the sheer madness that happens.
I believe in second chances and forgiveness.
I believe in the miracle of Christmas.
I believe in Santa because my Mom says if we don't believe, we get underwear.
I believe in writing how you really feel and knowing that even though some will disagree, people will respect you for being honest.
I believe God puts people in your life for a reason.  (he also takes them out for a reason)
I believe everything happens for a reason.

So...what do you believe?

Have a blessed night friends!
Referee of 3


No comments: